Is there a live DVD for Yellow Dog 6.2?

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Is there a live DVD for Yellow Dog 6.2?

Postby este.el.paz » 20 Jul 2014, 23:48

Folks:

New to Yelo Dog, been fiddling with linux distros for a couple years as GUI end user, trying to keep my 2 PPC computers going . . . couple days ago I downloaded the 6.2 version 32 bit . . . 3GB's worth, thought it would be a live DVD? but seems like it's only an "installer"?? Is there a live DVD version somewhere or the only way to test is to install first and then ask questions later?

Thanks kindly,

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Is there a live DVD for Yellow Dog 6.2?

Postby este.el.paz » 26 Jul 2014, 19:37

este.el.paz wrote:Folks:

New to Yelo Dog, been fiddling with linux distros for a couple years as GUI end user, trying to keep my 2 PPC computers going . . . couple days ago I downloaded the 6.2 version 32 bit . . . 3GB's worth, thought it would be a live DVD? but seems like it's only an "installer"?? Is there a live DVD version somewhere or the only way to test is to install first and then ask questions later?

Thanks kindly,

e.e.p.

Bump. Same question, asking again . . . with observation that, uh, . . . nothing seems to happen too quickly on this forum . . . which may be a "good thing" . . . if it reduces the amount of misinformation . . . but, then it doesn't seem to be offering information either . . . . Looks like this is a two man show in terms of providing answers; shouldn't be too complicated, either there is a "live" dvd, or there isn't . . . thought that a 3GB file would be offering a "live" feature, but all I see under "tab" is "installer" . . . ????? Please informa me . . . .

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby este.el.paz » 31 Jul 2014, 16:34

Bump. Is anybody in there? Posted a follow up question looks like 8 days ago and have not received any "approval" or "disapproval" . . . nor any reply at all . . . . Simple question, no apparent liveDVD on the Yellow Dog web site downloads page, is that correct?

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby este.el.paz » 12 Aug 2014, 20:07

So, a month has almost gone by from the first post, with no "reply" to my simple, "beginner" question . . . . Is this forum "dead"? Doesn't seem so, as it took 4 or 5 days to get "approval" for my thread . . . a server usually does that within seconds. So, somebody must be physically reading the posts and "approving" them, laboriously . . . by "hand." And, further proof, two subsequent posts to this thread were "not approved" . . . as they have not shown up in the following weeks--so somebody is clearly "rejecting" them on an individual basis -- at great expense of time and energy, etc.

So, clearly this is not a "vibrant" "living" forum for discussion of YDL . . . but is perhaps some kind of "web possession" that is being controlled by a person or small group of persons who are pruning the material that gets posted here . . . but are not troubling themselves to contributing to answer, due to the huge volume of posts???

Doubtfully this will be "approved" . . . but, if one of you could put your espresso cup down for a moment and try to provide an answer or link to possible "LiveDVD" edition of YDL . . . then I would feel that perhaps there is the slightest heartbeat happening on this "forum" . . . . Seems unlikely . . . hmmm, perhaps this is an out of control "zombie" forum and the server is breaking down from over-work??? :roll:

e.e.p.
este.el.paz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 19 Aug 2014, 19:26

este.el.paz wrote:New to Yelo Dog, been fiddling with linux distros for a couple years as GUI end user, trying to keep my 2 PPC computers going . . . couple days ago I downloaded the 6.2 version 32 bit . . . 3GB's worth, thought it would be a live DVD? but seems like it's only an "installer"?? Is there a live DVD version somewhere or the only way to test is to install first and then ask questions later?

Nope - no live DVD. There was a USB boot, but, IIRC, you had to buy the USB drive from Fixstars, so that image was never publically made available.

The main YDL repository I know about is here:
ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distribut ... g/yum/6.2/
and ISOs are here:
ftp://ftp.kddlabs.co.jp/Linux/distribut ... owdog/iso/

NOTE: YDL 6.2 is an Enterprise distribution, roughly equal to RHEL/CentOS 5.x. I don't know your experience with Enterprise Linuxes - if you've used them, you know what to expect. If you haven't, be aware that the base libraries are purposely held back to minimize updates for large corporate sites. This means that you'll have to compile most programs you need from scratch, as opposed to use precompiled binaries or RPMs. We tend to like it that way - many folks don't. There is an RPM repository we can use to add some programs, but many new programs won't install and/or compile on the system without major recompiling of the base libraries.

For most folks that are looking at Linuxes that are updated regularly, we recommend Fedora or Ubuntu, although their PPC support is getting scarce.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 19 Aug 2014, 19:35

este.el.paz wrote:Doubtfully this will be "approved" . . . but, if one of you could put your espresso cup down for a moment and try to provide an answer or link to possible "LiveDVD" edition of YDL . . . then I would feel that perhaps there is the slightest heartbeat happening on this "forum" . . . . Seems unlikely . . . hmmm, perhaps this is an out of control "zombie" forum and the server is breaking down from over-work??? :roll:

Just to let you know, this is a volunteer forum, not a corporate site. To prevent spambots, people who have been approved get instant posting privileges - newcomers do not. Sorry about the lack of response, but most of the site admins, including myself, have been on vacation during the summer months. If the general board users didn't respond to your post, then they didn't have an answer for you.

Also - it's a sad fact of life, but there are very few folks running PPC Linux anymore, since the PS3 removed OtherOS, and Macs switched to Intel architecture. Most of the folks who do run PPC Linux are using big mainframe IBM POWER servers, have their own brick & mortar support, and don't frequent this forum. Therefore, responses are generally a lot slower nowadays, since most of us jump on here only when we have free time.

Locking this thread to further postings.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner