Looking for terminal command differences between Debian_RH

If you are new to YDL and have some more or less basic questions.

Looking for terminal command differences between Debian_RH

Postby jacatone » 05 Nov 2014, 05:24

I want to try YDL for PPC on my old Powerbook G4. Does anyone know of a list somewhere that lists the differences between basic Debian and Red Hat commands. Things like apps search, reset, install command, etc. Thanks.
jacatone
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Looking for terminal command differences between Debian_

Postby ppietro » 13 Nov 2014, 21:17

jacatone wrote:I want to try YDL for PPC on my old Powerbook G4. Does anyone know of a list somewhere that lists the differences between basic Debian and Red Hat commands. Things like apps search, reset, install command, etc. Thanks.

Others may chime in here - but very quickly - the basic Linux command structure is the same. As you've noted - the main difference is in application management.

In a nutshell, RedHat uses the .rpm instead of .deb format for binary installers. It uses the rpm command instead of dpkg to install applications. For listing contents of your machine, you use rpm -qa in place of dpkg-query --list (It's not a separate program in RedHat).

For repository management, RedHat uses yum instead of apt-get.

There are graphic front ends to all of this. The graphic package manager for YDL is pirut. The updater is pup.

Otherwise, all of the regular commands - ls, ps, etc. are identical.

The other thing to bear in mind about YDL is that it is an enterprise distribution. This means it's closer to RedHat/CentOS than Fedora. (It's built on CentOS, actually.) Cutting edge code must be carefully ported to compile on it - it usually involves resolving library differences. You'll also want to use Enterprise repositories, not general Fedora, and make sure some kind of protectbase is installed so that key libraries aren't updated, breaking the distribution.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Beginner