Question for all: Why YELLOW DOG LINUX over FEDORA PPC?

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Question for all: Why YELLOW DOG LINUX over FEDORA PPC?

Postby Fei's Nik » 01 Sep 2006, 17:02

I love Yellow Dog Linux, and I am sure the people here do as well, but I would love to hear the various posters' reasons for chosing Yellow Dog Linux over Fedora PPC, since YDL is now based on Fedora.
Your friendly neighborhood moderator,
Nik Stanosheck
http://www.Stanosheck.com
Image Image
Fei's Nik

Postby StarKnight83 » 02 Sep 2006, 03:39

why not, its something diff. basically a non-mainstream linux for non-mainstream hw. and they always have done what they can to help those in irc (yes some of their engineers hang out there from time to time) Also they stand behind the hw where most other distros just support it cause its out there
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

YDL: I'm Loving It.

Postby Fei's Nik » 07 Oct 2006, 22:41

I agree completely, I was just hoping to see many answers on this. In the past I have tried Debian Core 5 on my iBook and could not get it to work, but due to this forum and the mailing lists, I could always get YDL working on any Mac of mine.
Your friendly neighborhood moderator,
Nik Stanosheck
http://www.Stanosheck.com
Image Image
Fei's Nik

Postby StarKnight83 » 12 Oct 2006, 02:56

the only other distro I was happy with on my macs (all ppc based) was gentoo. Which I would recomend to anyone to just try once, love their package management system and itll teach you a lot about what uses what as its dependancies as well as some of how it all fits together
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to General