download yellowdog 4.0

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

download yellowdog 4.0

Postby stijn » 01 Oct 2004, 20:26

Right now the yellowdog v4.0 is only available on the enhanced.net account.
Will this version be available on the normal download site and its mirrors ??
I am only a student and have no budget at all. But I would really like too test this vesion of linux for ibook G4.
stijn

Postby StarKnight83 » 02 Oct 2004, 10:49

Unfortunatly if TSS follows their original release schedual then the downloads wont be availible for about 4 weeks. Basically its released to enhanced, then purchasable cds/boxsets 2 weeks later. And another 2 weeks after that its put on the public mirrors
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby OctaneZ » 05 Oct 2004, 18:41

Theoretically it is GPL, and thus users that purchase could if they chose post ISOs or Torrents
OctaneZ

Postby Selket » 05 Oct 2004, 20:24

No. In YDL4 there are a lot of Trademarks included. If you would remove all the trademarks then it would be allowed to share the .iso files with others.

Greetings
Selket
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby OctaneZ » 08 Oct 2004, 17:19

That's ashame, I was really hoping to get to try it sooner rather than later, before deciding if I wanted to buy it.
OctaneZ

Postby StarKnight83 » 08 Oct 2004, 23:19

OctaneZ: unless you have new hardware then an older version (say 3.0 or 3.0.1) should be quite adequete to try it on. Though as far as linux distros go Yellowdog is one of the best on any platform. TSS is very good about checking or including hardware support or trying to find workarounds on the newest stuff. If your looking to try linux or want an easy to use distro for the experienced then you wont be disapointed
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Return to General