Installing FireFox Help?

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Installing FireFox Help?

Postby MinorByrd » 26 Oct 2004, 12:16

I tried to install FireFox by downloading the version for Linux it offered me on the front page of Mozilla.org, but when I untarred the file I got a "firefox-installer" shell script and a "firefox-installer-bin" file but the shell script just reported that it couldn't execute the bin.

Any ideas, anyone? Is there another version of firefox, another installer, I should try? Another way to run the installer I have now?
MinorByrd

Postby StarKnight83 » 26 Oct 2004, 14:15

the binary was most likely compiled for the x86 platform (intel, amd, etc chips) the apple uses a diff type of chip (risc, ppc) and they use diff instruction sets. as to one that will run on ydl id suggest compiling from source. You then know that its set up the way you want for your machine and while you will have to manually update it. its easier to keep track of the changes
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby MinorByrd » 26 Oct 2004, 21:41

OK, I get it.

Can you give me any help on compiling from source? A link to a page or any examples? I don't even know where to get the source from!

Also, aren't there versions of well-known software for YDL available somewhere? A place where we can download and install things not on the disks?
MinorByrd

Postby delirious_d » 27 Oct 2004, 20:08

If you want to compile it yourself you'll have to get it from CVS and blah blah blah. But nevermind that, you can just get the RPM here:
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ ... freshrpms/
iBook G3 800, YDL 3.0.1
delirious_d
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General