YDL 2.6.22-0 DHCP WIFI

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

YDL 2.6.22-0 DHCP WIFI

Postby splitradius » 08 Oct 2007, 08:41

I can get my wireless to go active if i give a IP and Sub net but it will not connect to any thing, i have also tried to point the linksys router at with the IP I gave the PS3 and the PS3's MAC and still nothing. While the wifi is "active" i ran iwlist eth0 scan and all the cells that it detected the address started off with 3 sets of 00's (ie 00.00.00.01.00.1B). I have looked at every forum for YDL wifi i could find and everything i find is for older kernels nothing for the newer ones. If someone could help me out with this please i have been beating my head on a wall for 8 hours now. The only thing i actually got to work was getting the device to go active. I have a brand new 60gig PS3 and YDL 2.6.22-0, with a linksys wireless router, internet connect DSL so for the router to connect to the dsl modem like most is set for PPPoE but i dont see how that could affect my issue. Any help on this would be great!!!!
splitradius
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby JoJoRaz » 08 Oct 2007, 10:18

This might be a dead end but I made this oversight once, with similar results.
You say you gave an IP & Subnet. Have you set DNS Server and Default Gateway to the address of your router?

IP: 192.168.1.46
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Router address)
DNS Server: 192.168.1.1
YDL 5.0.2/Mac G4 Powerbook/Apache 2.2.4
I have a headache!
JoJoRaz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

IT WORKS!! ROUTER SETTINGS!!!

Postby splitradius » 08 Oct 2007, 19:37

So at 4am i finally called it quits and dont think it could have come at a sooner time because after a hour of waking up i had it on line but still had to figure out the WEP because it wouldnt let me log on.

I already had DNS info on yelllow dog so idk if those helped or not but i will play with that later.

To get it on line i went into my router and turned off all the security which was only a 64bit WEP, and i changed back the setting to auto get the IP addy with DHCP.

Worked like a Champ!! I could browse the internet like a sperm as someone put it lol

Still had the issuse of the WEP. I was trying to use the Second key but the router was set to Tx the 1st. (in linksys routers, under wireless ==> Wireless Security there is a Passphrase and a generate key button and it will produce 4 WEP keys. In theory any key should have been alright but it wasnt working.)

Over all the issuse with the WEP key was that this WIFI was already set up before "I" set up PS3. So my roommates who dont know anything about computers had a WEP key of a phone number and that was not allowing me to log on. YDL was lookin for a HEX key and they didnt ............... (HUGE LIGHT BLUB went off as i was typing this, basicly when i would input the phone numer i didnt put 0x in front of it because i wasnt thinking that the phone number was being treated as hex. It was a ten digit phone number and WEP 64 uses 10 characters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG) Now after all of thses i went around to ever computer in the house an changed the WEP keys and it really doesnt make a difference. All that matters is that it works!!!

If anyone else has some questions or issuse post a reply and if i can help i'll try, but the only thing i have done on YDL is this. Next im going to try and get some media software and try for a driver that will give me better resolution on my 46" LCD HDTV Samsung (and OMG is this thing pretty)

Thanks everyone and to Jo Jo Raz for posting a quick reply!!!
splitradius
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General