Direct Rendering support for PS3 Nvidia

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Direct Rendering support for PS3 Nvidia

Postby hokiereese » 29 Nov 2007, 04:34

Hi,
Will YellowDog support direct rendering for the PS3? I'm trying to find a display platform that will run OpenGL, that's PowerPC based, and runs linux. I was thinking the PS3 with YellowDog would be that platform, but direct rendering is not supported.

Any ideas if this will be supported in the future, or any ideas on servers to use? We were using a PowerMac G5, but with Apple going the way of non-PowerPC chips, we lost that option. IBM doesn't seem to make any servers that have good video support, except really expensive stuff running AIX.

If someone could run glxgears on their PS3, and let me know the frames per second, that would be great.

Thanks for the help!
hokiereese
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Direct Rendering support for PS3 Nvidia

Postby billb » 29 Nov 2007, 16:21

There is much speculation regarding whether the hardware acceleration / direct rendering will be supported in the future on the PS3.

I posted a while back on how to enable software OpenGL rendering -- it is quite slow. The glxgears results are in the post under Step 5.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hokiereese » 29 Nov 2007, 19:51

Thanks billb,
Were those glxgears results in the standard small window? Can you run it with an ~900x900 window and list the results?

I get ~70fps on a 900x900 window using a PowerMac G5 with a Radeon 7600.
hokiereese
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 29 Nov 2007, 22:21

hokiereese wrote:Thanks billb,
Were those glxgears results in the standard small window? Can you run it with an ~900x900 window and list the results?

I get ~70fps on a 900x900 window using a PowerMac G5 with a Radeon 7600.

For what it's worth, I get around 55 FPS with the window resized to 900x900. That G5 isn't using direct rendering, is it?

Note that these glxgears results are not really useful for benchmarking according to the wiki entry and other sites.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hokiereese » 29 Nov 2007, 22:55

No, couldn't get the YellowDog and G5 to direct render. It would solve lots of problems for me, but I don't think it's supported. And the PowerPC G5 won't anyway :cry:

Thanks for the Wiki info about the glxgears usage. I think the rough estimates are good enough for me. If someone doesn't come out with PowerPC direct rendering, I may have to go to Unix on IBM...

We're working with Big Endian data processing, and I we don't have the infrastructure to byte swap our msgs. So I'm stuck with a Big Endian display for now, and we want to do some 3-D real-time rendering with it. Remotely displaying to an x86 server doesn't really give improvement, as it still needs to pass throught the X process before display.

Uuugggg....
hokiereese
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Shagz » 23 Dec 2007, 05:08

Also, as far is i've been reading around... the benchmarks your doing on a G5 MIGHT not be as accurate when compared to running on the PS3.

G5 won't be purposely blocking the video cards hardware-acceleration features. in PS3, they've blocked it as well as a few other nice little things that would be nice to have access to.

then again, it all depends ont he software your using, and if hardware-acceleration is even being used, lol.
~Shagz
Shagz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General