Something A Little Weird And Unusual

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Something A Little Weird And Unusual

Postby SadAngelman » 29 Nov 2007, 06:55

I have a 400mhz g3 imac with 256mb ram & 40gig hard drive. I can get Yellow Dog 5 to install & run without any problems. But during the install process it never asks me wot type of install i want eg: desktop, custom, server etc & it also never lets me choose what packages i want or dont want from the dvd. I just end up with a default set of basic packages & the gnome & enlightement desktops installed. So does anyone know how i can get the install to let me choose my packages. Finally once ive installed Yellow Dog 5 how do i install packages off the dvd as the package manager wont let me as states theres no network connection & this imac is not connected to the internet & never will be so need to get packages off the dvd
I am what i am coz i am so there!
SadAngelman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Something A Little Weird And Unusual

Postby billb » 29 Nov 2007, 16:16

I have the same or very similar iMac with YDL 5.0.2 installed. :)

I don't know of a way to customize what packages are installed by default on YDL5. I never used any previous versions so I don't know if this is the norm for YDL or a new thing for v5.x. Terrasoft mentions advanced installation option but don't know it ...

To use your YDL DVD as a local repository, you can edit the files under /etc/yum.repos.d to point to the DVD instead of internet addresses like this from a terminal window: (EDIT: apparently this isn't quite right, see bottom of post :? )
Code: Select all
su
<root password>

gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo

(or use nano /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-base.repo if you're in text mode)

It should look like this to begin with:

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Base
#baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/5.0/base/
mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd50-base-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

and you would change it to this:

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 5.0 Base
baseurl=file:///media/PBOOT/YellowDog
#mirrorlist=http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/resources/yd50-base-mlist
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

The folder "/media/PBOOT/" is where my YDL 5.0.2 install DVD automatically mounts -- if this is different on your system you'll need to change that part.

Then on the other two .repo files, yellowdog-extras.repo and yellowdog-updates.repo, change enabled=1 to enabled=0 so they aren't used.

That should be it, I think...

EDIT: Uh oh ... that doesn't quite work right. :roll: You have to set it to baseurl=file:///media/PBOOT/ so it reads the repodata folder on the DVD, but then it doesn't look in /media/PBOOT/YellowDog/RPMS ...

Maybe just do this instead (no need to modify any of the .repo files):

yum localinstall /media/PBOOT/YellowDog/RPMS/InsertPackageNameHere
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General