YDL Enhanced Account?

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

YDL Enhanced Account?

Postby Shagz » 23 Dec 2007, 04:59

This may seem like a dumb question, .. but over the course of the last few days i've installed/reinstalled Ubuntu on my ps3 8.5 times.. YDL 5 times, with 3 different dvd-ISOs..

And every time, on every attempt i end up working thru my list of "post install fixes" and SOMEthing will break.

The last time it broke wasn't major.. but thru the Menu in YDL, i can't select "boot game os", it's not major, cuase i can still do it in terminal.

I've found that the best ISO to use for PS3 seems to be the 5.0.1-PS3, (5.0.2 does not seem to have a ps3-specific version?).
With 5.0.1 i dind't even have to rig the wireless network., OR download the rpm for the beta kernal (which cuases other issues of it's own).

They all seem to have the new bug of YUM and PUP being broken. (i've found the fix applied it, and update.. just to have all sortsa dependancy errors on reboot)

SO, i've come to the conslusion.. that the only way to make this work painlessly is to install from the 5.0.1-ps3 iso, and don't touch anything. don't update, which means don't even bother to fix the YUM/PUP issue.

Anyways, .. onto my newest problem.. and question :)

with the conslusion from above... i can't seem to do ANYTHING but browse web pages, there's no mp3 codec support, (avi, or anything else for that matter)... there's no Flashplayer, so can't even use Youtube... I have no interest on pulling a chair 6-inches from my screen so that i can use it as a dev-box..

I'm failing to see how purchasing a paid-account with YDL, wich recursively bills, is worth having the 10gigs of space on the ps3, that doens't do anything media-related.

I have read somewhere though that the YUM and PUP problems dont' exist for subscribers.. is that true? .. does that enable to me to update without breaking the OS, .. and if so, does it include rpms for codecs?

I'd personally rather use everything YDL "approved", as to not have to worry about the whole thing going ka-put... over a single install, after spending days walking on install-eggshells to get it all working.
But at the same time, i don't wanna pay for anything that i'm not gonna use (if it can't easily support the simplest of tasks, like playing an mp3, or a video.. right out of the box, i can't use it).
~Shagz
Shagz
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General