SAMBA FTP

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

SAMBA FTP

Postby mozart » 02 Jan 2008, 14:44

I am trying to connect to my PS3 YDL installation via FTP but thus far have been unsuccessful. I have a share created in SAMBA, and can connect via UNC share, and my printer sharing works so I know that the network connections are good. However, if I attempt to connect via FTP I get CONNECTION REFUSED. This happens if I try "ftp localhost" from the Gnome Terminal as well. Any help would be appreciated.
mozart
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: SAMBA FTP

Postby billb » 02 Jan 2008, 15:02

mozart wrote:I am trying to connect to my PS3 YDL installation via FTP but thus far have been unsuccessful. I have a share created in SAMBA, and can connect via UNC share, and my printer sharing works so I know that the network connections are good. However, if I attempt to connect via FTP I get CONNECTION REFUSED. This happens if I try "ftp localhost" from the Gnome Terminal as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you running an FTP server? There isn't one installed by default ...
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mozart » 02 Jan 2008, 15:19

I do have it installed, and the port is open in the firewall. I'm not sure, however, that it's actually "running". I thought that SAMBA hosted both UNC and FTP shares, and apparently that's not right. How can I configure the FTP server which is installed?

(I'm saying "installed" because I have selected it under software management -> servers.)
mozart
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 02 Jan 2008, 17:34

mozart wrote:I do have it installed, and the port is open in the firewall. I'm not sure, however, that it's actually "running". I thought that SAMBA hosted both UNC and FTP shares, and apparently that's not right. How can I configure the FTP server which is installed?

(I'm saying "installed" because I have selected it under software management -> servers.)

You have the FTP Server group selected, but have you checked Optional packages and installed one of them? Mine lists two of them: proftpd and pure-ftpd, plus a utility called xferstats. I haven't used any of them since I haven't had any need to set up an FTP server on my PS3.

So I would install one of those, then under Applications -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Config -> Security Level and Firewall, check FTP next to Trusted services, then look at the documentation for whichever one was installed, which would probably be located in /usr/share/doc (for example, pure-ftpd's docs are located in /usr/share/doc/pure-ftpd-1.0.21), to find out how to configure it ...

I really don't know much about SAMBA ...

Having fun yet? :lol:
:wink:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General