Japanese input in YDL on PS3

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Japanese input in YDL on PS3

Postby benc81 » 08 Jan 2008, 18:20

Hi all, I'm pretty new in the world of Linux, but finally pushed the boat out recently.

I installed YDL onto my PS3, set everything up and managed to get everything how I wanted it, until I tried making Japanese input work, at which point i acheived nothing but making myself frustrated for hours on end. I turn to this forum in hopes that you can help me.

Using YUM, I went to Languages > Japanese and installed/updated the packages that came with it such as scim-anthy etc. Here is my problem though. It DID work, becuase my Japanese fonts in firefox became much nicer and kanji became readable, however nothing seemed to install which would give me the option to switch to japanese keyboard input on the desktop. I read around and I was under the impression that something would install which I could then simply click on and select my desired keyboard input (this case, I would see en-GB and ja). My big problem is, I've never seen Linux before, so I don't even know what I'm looking for, so I'm constantly doubting myself and thinking something must've gone wrong with the installation or I must be missing something.

If anyone uses this or got it to work in the past I'd be grateful of any help you can give me, even just point in the right direction, as searching round the web seems more and more confusing as I go.

Thanks in Advance xxx
benc81
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Japanese input in YDL on PS3

Postby Topdon87 » 28 Feb 2009, 23:34

Hello and こんにちは。

I am currently very new to linux ydl 6.1 so please be patient with me. I managed to get round this problems by

1. Opening up a terminal

2. Typing "su" followed by my "root password"

3. Typing "gedit"

4. I got to text configuration editor in applications>system tools

EDIT: Im not sure why this worked. When i typed gedit i got a lot of stuff about SCIM and then suddenly it was there! :oops:

Sorry if this isn't enough. I was having the same problem as you and managed to get round it this way. I am currently typing from my PS3 just now :D

がんばってね。

P.S i press control and space to open a mini toolbar which then allows me to pick my input i desire

P.P.S learning japanese is good fun :mrgreen:
PS3 CECHA01 60gb (R.I.P Gone but not forgotten)

PS3 CECHK01 80gb (upgraded to 320gb)
YDL 6.1 with Gnome and 80gb external
Topdon87
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby CronoCloud » 03 Mar 2009, 02:58

If one uses fluxbox you can install scim and put these lines in your .xinitrc just before your window manager is started:

Code: Select all
export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -d

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby Coolie4 » 21 Apr 2009, 04:39

ありがと ございます CronoCloud-san. ^^

Couldn't get this working at all except in fluxbox with the editted .xinitrc.
Coolie4
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby CronoCloud » 22 Apr 2009, 15:53

Coolie4 wrote:ありがと ございます CronoCloud-san. ^^

You're welcome.

Couldn't get this working at all except in fluxbox with the editted .xinitrc.

There should be a way of starting scim up automagically in other window managers, but I don't know how. It should be possible to add scim -d to a window managers "startup" items if you have the environment variables set in ~/.bash_profile

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to General