Very weird problem on YDL (happened with no reason)some help

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Very weird problem on YDL (happened with no reason)some help

Postby TnF » 16 Feb 2008, 16:47

Hi. I have been using YDL on my ps3 over a year, perfectly working fine, and i have learned linux very much over the time. In winOS i can say my self expert bt not so in linux.
Anyway listen to my problem:

I was working in YDL 5.0.2(with wifi/no prbs/pefectly fine), and after some time i restarted the system. The system booted fine, showed the interactive startup, mouse cursor, keyboard working, starting network>>ok, etc...starting first time boot configuration>>and instaid to see my regular login screen/manager, i got a Black(blank) screen. The hard disk indicator was not flashing after a while. I tried to enter root>>enter>>password>>enter in blind, bt nothing happened. I pressed ctrl+alt+del some times, and the system started shut down, as the wifi led closed, and the system restarted. after the restart i waited the system to boot, and after again while the ydl 'loader' was saying: starting first time boot configuration, i was moving the cursor and the loading bar stucked at the end.
Then i tried an older ydl modified kernel booting bt the same thing happened again.

--------)The system seems to stuck at the welcome/login screen. I changed my login screen with another themed one, long time ago(and it was working until these happened) I used gdmsetup t change it. But since it was working fine i don't think that it is the prb.(except if it is corrupted). Then i used rescue to boot ydl in safe mode, i get t the shell, bt cz i don't know what is the problem i can't fix it.(note that i checked /usr/share/ bt it was no gdm folder there)

Then i tried the upgrate option from the ydl installation disk. the system re-installed, bt again when it booted, the system stucks at a black screen(note that when the system was booting above the press i t enter interactive mode, instaid of Yellow Dog Linux it says Fedora Core 5(i know its based on this)). so i tried install at the kboot, entering the gui installation, and this time i tried to create a custom partition, but it can't be made, cz all space is used my the old partition, + ydl must be installed in / bt there is the old installation there, so i can't proceed. Notice this time i got no upgrade option which means the installation made before, was not completed)

If i had my pc know i could backup my linux partition using the swiss army tools(i think they can to an external disk, which i don't have), or IF $ony used at least a DIFFERENT partition for the GAme os, instaid of using a special partition, which under the hypervisor is the linux ext3 partition:/ I don't want t lose any data, cz my only 'pc' right now is the ps3,(right now writing using gameos), cz my pc isn't going to be here right now.

PLEASE SOME REALLY EXPERT HELP! (also if there is a live gui linux booting over the ps3, i want to know. like ubuntu live)
TnF
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Very weird problem on YDL (happened with no reason)some

Postby billb » 16 Feb 2008, 16:57

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do ...

You're still able to boot, but just get a black screen after the graphical login screen?

Are you able to boot normally in text mode by typing ydltext at the kboot prompt (before it defaults to ydl)?
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TnF » 16 Feb 2008, 17:11

yes all were working perfectly before. But after the reboot, ydl start to loading, and when it gets there, were the login screen was shown, i get a black screen. Weird. in other words, instaid of a login screen i get a blank screen, in black showing nothing, not even the mouse cursor.

and then i made an upgrade installation of ydl(like repair in winxp;p), and now the system loads fine, and again as before, i get a blank screen, instaid of the login screen, BUT now the mouse cursor moves:S And when i press the ps3 button t shutdown the system, the system shows unmounting dev/....etc shutting down several servises...which mean linux load fine, but still the prb with the login screen remains.

What i thought is that maybe the custom login screen theme, somehow corrupted so the system can't show the login screen.(since when i even made an upgrade installation, my settings are still the old ones;p)
TnF
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 16 Feb 2008, 18:17

TnF wrote:yes all were working perfectly before. But after the reboot, ydl start to loading, and when it gets there, were the login screen was shown, i get a black screen. Weird. in other words, instaid of a login screen i get a blank screen, in black showing nothing, not even the mouse cursor.

and then i made an upgrade installation of ydl(like repair in winxp;p), and now the system loads fine, and again as before, i get a blank screen, instaid of the login screen, BUT now the mouse cursor moves:S And when i press the ps3 button t shutdown the system, the system shows unmounting dev/....etc shutting down several servises...which mean linux load fine, but still the prb with the login screen remains.

What i thought is that maybe the custom login screen theme, somehow corrupted so the system can't show the login screen.(since when i even made an upgrade installation, my settings are still the old ones;p)

What video mode are you using, and are you positive that it's supported by your display? (look in /etc/kboot.conf) What resolution do you normally use?

To get to it ... at the kboot prompt:

ydltext

Then login as root, and use nano to edit the file:

Code: Select all
nano /etc/kboot.conf
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TnF » 16 Feb 2008, 23:16

hey. i just made some tests. I am using 720p, bt i booted ydltext, which loads perfectly fine. It seems that the gmd theme i have for the login screen is corrupted that's why i get a blank screen. I'll have to change the gmd configuration, bt i can't seem to find which command to execute. gdmsetup can't be run in the console so i can't change the config file:S is there a way to go 2 gnome enviroment from the ydltext console directly?
TnF
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby TnF » 17 Feb 2008, 06:19

Hi again, sry for the double post. I fixed it. the solution? Here it is:p
>>I booted into text enviroment using ydltext
>>Login as root
>>run this command for the gdm config file: editdiff /etc/gdm/custom.conf
>> edited the variable to choose Wonderland theme
>>save the file
>>reinstalling ydl
and it worked.