VLC Subtitles

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

VLC Subtitles

Postby Laku » 20 Feb 2008, 03:28

Hi, when i try playing files with VLC and loading their subtitles they do not show up, i can switch audio tracks, just no subs (unless their streamed into the video of course). I am in Gnome session. Also, when i go to properties of an .ogm file to change default player to vlc it just brings my to my file system.
Laku
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: VLC Subtitles

Postby ppietro » 21 Feb 2008, 01:51

Laku wrote:Hi, when i try playing files with VLC and loading their subtitles they do not show up, i can switch audio tracks, just no subs (unless their streamed into the video of course). I am in Gnome session. Also, when i go to properties of an .ogm file to change default player to vlc it just brings my to my file system.

You don't specify it here, but you're using a PS3 right?

PS3 video is a little different from regular Linux video in that it uses the framebuffer driver instead of a graphics card optimized driver.

[I THINK THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH IS COMPLETELY WRONG - PLEASE IGNORE]
I don't know for certain - others will have a more definitive response - but my guess is that the VLC subtitles need "Overlay Plane" support - which I don't think the framebuffer driver supports.
[OKAY - YOU CAN STOP IGNORING NOW.] :)

Anyone else got any ideas on this one?

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited by ppietro on 21 Feb 2008, 02:39, edited 2 times in total.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

on ps3

Postby Laku » 21 Feb 2008, 02:25

Yeah its running on PS3
Laku
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: VLC Subtitles

Postby ppietro » 21 Feb 2008, 02:37

Laku wrote:Hi, when i try playing files with VLC and loading their subtitles they do not show up, i can switch audio tracks, just no subs (unless their streamed into the video of course). I am in Gnome session. Also, when i go to properties of an .ogm file to change default player to vlc it just brings my to my file system.

Actually - it may be simpler than what I posted earlier. What type of subtitles are you trying to play?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

they are...

Postby Laku » 21 Feb 2008, 03:59

Theyre the kind that are the same file as the video, but are not embedded into the video track. You need to go to Video--> Subititle Track ---> (Subs name)
Laku
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: they are...

Postby ppietro » 22 Feb 2008, 02:25

Laku wrote:Theyre the kind that are the same file as the video, but are not embedded into the video track. You need to go to Video--> Subititle Track ---> (Subs name)

Are you doing that before or after you load the video? I've done a little bit of googling, and it appears that you have to load the video first, then the subtitles.

That's about the extent of my VLC experience. I hope someone chimes in here with a better solution for you.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

yeah

Postby Laku » 22 Feb 2008, 05:05

Yeah i load the video then try and load the subtitles
Laku
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General