List of Internet Applications Still Pending

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

List of Internet Applications Still Pending

Postby UchihaMadara » 21 Feb 2008, 17:44

Hey Board

Got the monies together to purchase A PS3 and get yellow Dog on it. Was wondering about YDL 6.0 and what internet application problems it addresses. Is there now a solid way to use Flash player?, Shockwave?, Youtube?, JAVA in general? Really want to be able to use VoiD and don't want to migrate untill all of these issues have a solid means of correcting. Anyone using YDL currently that cannot use an app that they really want to? If so please elaborate.

Any and all input in appriciated.
UchihaMadara
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: List of Internet Applications Still Pending

Postby billb » 21 Feb 2008, 18:28

UchihaMadara wrote:Hey Board

Got the monies together to purchase A PS3 and get yellow Dog on it. Was wondering about YDL 6.0 and what internet application problems it addresses. Is there now a solid way to use Flash player?, Shockwave?, Youtube?, JAVA in general? Really want to be able to use VoiD and don't want to migrate untill all of these issues have a solid means of correcting. Anyone using YDL currently that cannot use an app that they really want to? If so please elaborate.

Any and all input in appriciated.

Flash -- I don't know how "solid" it is, but there's a flash alternative called swfdec that mostly works for youtube on YDL 6 (videos play but controls at the bottom don't work) Also there's the included Gnash player but users have not reported it working for youtube (sound plays, controls work, but no video?). Easy to install.

Shockwave -- No, I don't believe there is a version for Linux. You may be waiting a long time on that one. :wink: You may see solutions which involve running it through Wine, but that doesn't work on PPC Linux. I wonder about running it on Windows 98 via QEMU, though ... that would work, I guess. Or if you wanted to try running an x86 Linux through the QEMU processor emulator and then running Wine on top of that ... ugh ... :D

Java -- Yes, using IBM Java. Easy to install.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: List of Internet Applications Still Pending

Postby ppietro » 21 Feb 2008, 19:57

billb wrote:Java -- Yes, using IBM Java. Easy to install.

And just to add a little bit to billb's excellent summary - the IBM Java is Sun licensed and created from Sun's source code - not reverse engineered like the GNU Java.

It's an great Java. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General