Installing the GTK+ from source

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Ok, now I need help again.

Postby uncooldude » 29 Apr 2008, 23:17

Hi-ya, folks.

Well, I really screwed something up, trying to put Gnome back to the way it was, so I ended up nuking YellowDog and re-installing it.

Now, I think I've learned my lesson, and so I'm not going to install the GTK+ in the same path as the system installation. I've decided on /opt/gtk. Anyway, I started out with GLIB and libjpeg and Cairo. Unfortunately, now I'm back to square one, because ./configure for Pango can't find GLIB or Cairo. I tried the
Code: Select all
export PATH=/opt/gtk:$PATH

bit, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help?
You can fool some of the people all of the time. The rest will just go along with it. --Me
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Ok, now I need help again.

Postby ppietro » 30 Apr 2008, 01:14

uncooldude wrote:Hi-ya, folks.

Well, I really screwed something up, trying to put Gnome back to the way it was, so I ended up nuking YellowDog and re-installing it.

Now, I think I've learned my lesson, and so I'm not going to install the GTK+ in the same path as the system installation. I've decided on /opt/gtk. Anyway, I started out with GLIB and libjpeg and Cairo. Unfortunately, now I'm back to square one, because ./configure for Pango can't find GLIB or Cairo. I tried the
Code: Select all
export PATH=/opt/gtk:$PATH

bit, but it doesn't seem to work. Any help?

Try LD_LIBRARY_PATH....
(i.e. LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gtk:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncooldude » 06 May 2008, 01:30

Ok, I think I solved the problem. Thanks, ppietro, your information wasn't complete, but it helped jar my memory.

Once again, the problem with me is, I don't have enough time to read what I should, and when I do, I don't remember it. Here's something from the GTK+ install page that fixed all my problems:

Several environment variables are useful to pass to set before running configure. CPPFLAGS contains options to pass to the C compiler, and is used to tell the compiler where to look for include files. The LDFLAGS variable is used in a similar fashion for the linker. Finally the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable contains a search path that pkg-config (see below) uses when looking for for file describing how to compile programs using different libraries. If you were installing GTK+ and it's dependencies into /opt/gtk, you might want to set these variables as:

CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/gtk/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/opt/gtk/lib"
PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/gtk/lib/pkgconfig"
export CPPFLAGS LDFLAGS PKG_CONFIG_PATH

You may also need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable so the systems dynamic linker can find the newly installed libraries, and the PATH environment program so that utility binaries installed by the various libraries will be found.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/gtk/lib"
PATH="/opt/gtk/bin:$PATH"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH

Thanks for your help, everybody. At some point in the near future, I'll post the steps I took to compile the GTK+ (and its dependencies) from source -- just in case anybody other than me cares. (I doubt they do -- hey, who really needs GIMP 2.4?)[/quote]
You can fool some of the people all of the time. The rest will just go along with it. --Me
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Previous

Return to General