PS3 YDL6 Wireless networking

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Re: PS3 YDL6 Wireless networking

Postby billb » 29 Mar 2008, 05:29

sjarman wrote:Hi,

I've had absolutely no luck getting wireless networking running in YDL6 on PS3. I've searched around and found heaps of tutorials (most relating to YDL5.x), but none of them have helped.

I've switched my router to WEP, I'm using 0x before the key, etc, etc.

Initially the connection activates, but it returns an error trying to get an IP via DHCP. I then manually assigned an IP and provided DNS server entries manually too.

The connection activates and displays correct settings via ipconfig, but I can't ping anything (including my router which is the default gateway) and I can't resolve anything (e.g. nslookup www.google.com).

Does anyone have any advice other than the stuff that's around in the tutorials? Anyone found any secret tricks to get this working?

Paul? Help? :wink:

You might try setting the hex key with all uppercase characters on both your router and PS3 -- I believe it is case sensitive. Or try it temporarily with no security at all to rule out any problem with that.

... for your manually assigned IP, make sure you assign an address that couldn't already be in use ...

It is working in the Game OS / XMB, right?
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 29 Mar 2008, 19:03

sjarman wrote:Disabled security, assigned a static IP, and we're off and running.

Very strange - at least now I can focus on that security area as the issue.

Thanks for your input. Sometimes you can stare at something for hours and you just need a second set of eyes on it :)

Hmmm - that is odd.

Well - now that we're circling around security, I have a couple of thoughts to help troubleshoot.

First, I'd try a 10 digit WEP hex key with no alpha characters. I typically use my (U.S.) phone number + area code for this.

Next, you might try a 10 digit WEP hex key with a,b,c,d,e or f and see if that works. (Along those lines, I'm not sure but I think that alphanumerics in the WEP key have to be lower case.)

Finally, if those work, then try 128 bit security for WEP and see if that works. (I forget how many digits that is...:))

It might be cool to know the make and model of your Wireless Router - just so we know. I don't know of any specific PS3-to-Wireless Router brand issues - but there's always a first. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheBurf » 30 Mar 2008, 20:17

I installed YDL6, latest version today and i am having the EXACT same problems!

The only way i can connect to the net on the ps3/ydl is to turn off the security on my router (which i am not gonna leave like that..)

Tried everything too!

If anyone can figure out how to get this working wirelessly with Router Security then please et me know!

P.S - Where did you get SNes9X?

thx
TheBurf
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 30 Mar 2008, 21:12

TheBurf wrote:I installed YDL6, latest version today and i am having the EXACT same problems!

The only way i can connect to the net on the ps3/ydl is to turn off the security on my router (which i am not gonna leave like that..)

Tried everything too!

If anyone can figure out how to get this working wirelessly with Router Security then please et me know!

P.S - Where did you get SNes9X?

thx

Just out of curiousity, what router are you using?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 30 Mar 2008, 23:25

sjarman wrote:Used this tutorial for installing SNES9x. It includes a link to the download that works nicely on YDL6.

Just scroll down a bit to the SNES9x section.

http://www.tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38117

Yikes. :shock:

Don't use the repos from that guide -- you'll hose up your install pretty quickly.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TheBurf » 01 Apr 2008, 01:18

thx for the links!

Im using a Belkin Wireless G Router if thats any help!

Anyone using the same and still having problems (with encryption)?

btw i got snes9x to work in the end (just wish i had these links first, lol)
Although cant seem to map my sixaxis (will try again tho)

Not enjoying YDL as much without wireless!

Firefox was one of the perks that caught my eye!
TheBurf
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Wireless networking is a total waste of time

Postby ArunGupta » 08 Apr 2008, 01:32

I got the wireless networking to work with YDL 6 and PS3 fw 2.20. Soon I found out that it is just a waste of time and will make my network less secure.

a) YDL does not support WPA2. It goes only up to WPA.

b) It accepts up to 42 ASCII characters WPA key. These characters cannot contain `, |, \ as bash treats these characters as special. This is so stupid of bash to try and process strings which are passed as arguments to commands.

I hate to run my wireless network like that...
ArunGupta
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General