kismet

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

kismet

Postby aebp2003 » 27 Nov 2004, 18:46

Has anyone tested Kismet to see if it works with YDL 4.0?
aebp2003

kismet

Postby aebp2003 » 10 Dec 2004, 23:33

I got it working yesterday with the airport card of all things (I had planned to use a pcmcia orinoco card). If anyone wants help with getting kismet to work just let me know.
aebp2003

Postby afro » 15 Dec 2004, 07:20

hey aebp2003,

Which section of the kismet.conf have to be configured? Could you post your kismet.conf here as well.

Either any of these:
Code: Select all
'source=orinoco,eth0,Kismet'
'source=orinoco_14,eth0,Kismet''
'source=orinoco,eth0,orinocosource'
'source=orinoco_14,eth0,orinocosource'

gave me this error:
FATAL: Could not find 'monitor' private ioctl or use the newer style 'mode monitor' command....

Which patch should i use?
orinoco-0.13e-patch.diff
orinoco-0.13e-dragorn-patch.diff
orinoco-0.13e-rfmon-dragorn3.diff

Here is a link to the same matter:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... m_id=11432

Specs: Newbie, YDL 4.0, ibook 800 & airport card (not eXtreme)

Thanks.
afro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

I do!

Postby netsec » 22 Dec 2004, 16:47

I got it working yesterday with the airport card of all things (I had planned to use a pcmcia orinoco card). If anyone wants help with getting kismet to work just let me know.
I want to know what your .conf file looks like. Like the previous post, I had trouble setting up the line in the .conf to point to the card and driver.
netsec

I do!

Postby aebp2003 » 28 Dec 2004, 22:21

I have some bad news. I had to reformat my powerbook, but I will try to get yellowdog and kismet running again within a few weeks. Try the iwconfig command to see if the monitor mode patch is working. If monitor mode is not working then you need to re-apply the patch and recompile the kernel. I had to recompile the default yellowdog kernel with the same settings and options in order to get kismet to work (just make sure pcmcia, pcmcia wireless, and airport options are selected).

If the iwconfig command shows that the monitor mode patch is working then edit the kismet.conf file with the source set as source=orinoco, eth#, airport (I'm not 100% sure on this part). Also, I was only able to run kismet as root. Give me a week or two and I will try to get kismet running again and I will remember to take some notes.

Good Luck. 8)
aebp2003

Postby afro » 27 Jan 2005, 11:55

Hey aebp2003,

Any updates?
afro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby tali » 30 Jan 2005, 06:55

yeah I've been running kismet and airsnort for quite some time on the 2.6.10 kernel, I wrote up a HOW-TO but it was lost when the forums were hacked. What do you need to know? eh I can put back a couple beers and write it up again tonight. :)
tali
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby afro » 02 Mar 2005, 10:57

hey tali, plz do a detail article on that...

yr effort is appreciated.
afro
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

kismet on YDL 6

Postby kengreen » 27 May 2008, 20:18

I am having trouble locating an rpm for kismet on YDL 6. I have tried kismet rpm for Fedora 8 ppc and Mandriva ppc without success. They depend on things I don't want to add to YDL such as fedora-usermanagement.
kengreen
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: kismet on YDL 6

Postby ppietro » 27 May 2008, 21:28

kengreen wrote:I am having trouble locating an rpm for kismet on YDL 6. I have tried kismet rpm for Fedora 8 ppc and Mandriva ppc without success. They depend on things I don't want to add to YDL such as fedora-usermanagement.

Next time, it's probably best to post questions like this as new posts, and not "tailgate" on older discussions. The last update to this topic was 3 years ago - I'm guessing that you may not get any responses from the original posters. :)

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. I have never used Kismet myself - so I can't help you there.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General