Farewell folks

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Farewell folks

Postby Kooothor » 19 Apr 2008, 08:43

[url=http.//www.flood.fr]Flood.fr[/url]
Last edited by Kooothor on 16 Dec 2011, 05:10, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.flood.fr
Kooothor
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Farewell folks

Postby billb » 19 Apr 2008, 15:51

Kooothor wrote:Hi guys,

I just want to say :
I installed YDL 6.0 on my PS3
It took me 10 mins to change the desktop background, and I managed to do it only on desktop 2,3 and 4. The whole linux crached three times with various bugs, non of my favorite apps were in the repos, so I didn't manage to install needed codecs ans so on...

So I installed Ubunut 7.10
All is well, it is as fast (slow ?) as YDL, all works perfectly, I've had NO bug, no crash.

So goodbye folks !

Gosh, it sounds like we should shut down this site and all move to Ubuntu 7.10, it's bug free and has all of Kooothor's favorite apps! :roll:

Of all the things I have read about Ubuntu, and I have read great reports about it, this sort of thing is what turns me away from it the most -- the users. :lol:
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Farewell folks

Postby ppietro » 19 Apr 2008, 20:28

billb wrote:
Kooothor wrote:Hi guys,

I just want to say :
I installed YDL 6.0 on my PS3
It took me 10 mins to change the desktop background, and I managed to do it only on desktop 2,3 and 4. The whole linux crached three times with various bugs, non of my favorite apps were in the repos, so I didn't manage to install needed codecs ans so on...

So I installed Ubunut 7.10
All is well, it is as fast (slow ?) as YDL, all works perfectly, I've had NO bug, no crash.

So goodbye folks !

Gosh, it sounds like we should shut down this site and all move to Ubuntu 7.10, it's bug free and has all of Kooothor's favorite apps! :roll:

Of all the things I have read about Ubuntu, and I have read great reports about it, this sort of thing is what turns me away from it the most -- the users. :lol:

Actually, billb - he installed Ubunut. I haven't tried that distro yet - sounds exciting. A distro for "nuts". :lol:

By the way - Kooothor - just for the record, the issue you had was not with YDL. It's with the default Window manager/desktop environment the YDL installer sets up. If you had switched YDL to Gnome - easily done on the login screen - it would work like Ubuntu.

You may, in fact, find that the apt/get system of Ubuntu isn't as flexible as the YUM/RPM system of YDL. That's one of the main reason I prefer RedHat based Linuxes to debian based.

And - the reason you didn't find the apps you wanted in the repos is because those are the base set of legal, open source apps that can be delivered without fear of copyright infringement. You have to add extra repos to the base set, dependent on the laws in your local country. Ubuntu, by way of contrast, has a, shall we say, "interesting" concept of copyright law. :)

Still, if you're happy, etc. - congrats. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey, I can see where that guy's coming from

Postby uncooldude » 19 Apr 2008, 22:17

YDL was not exactly the easiest thing in the world to install -- at least, version 5.0.2 on an ancient iMac wasn't, anyway. I had to re-try the installation three times before I got it right, mainly because I'm a harried, busy busy busy person who doesn't have the time to read all the things I should. When I finally did get it installed, it made my mac partition disappear, and it was only through a series of accidental steps (which I cannot now recall) that I managed to get my Mac OS 9.2.2 partition to re-appear. (By the way, I used parted to resize my swap partition, and the Mac OS partition disappeared again).

Let's just say this: there's no such thing as "easy" Linux, unless you pay for it, and you only intend to use it for web surfing. If a dum-ass wants an easy OS, they should get Mac.

Me, personally, I wanted the most "modern" OS I could get, so I could learn Java without having to shell out $1000 on a new machine. YDL works fine for me for that purpose.

I just wish there was a Linux music player that was easy to use and install, and had an equalizer and a nice look to it (you know, like iTunes).
You can fool some of the people all of the time. The rest will just go along with it. --Me
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby uncholowapo » 19 Apr 2008, 22:53

Thats why we have VLC.
PS3 40GB has YDL 6.1 running 480i on a piece of $#!% Sanyo 24 incher. Need to go to 1080p.
uncholowapo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby uncooldude » 19 Apr 2008, 23:23

Yeah, I read about VLC. I dunno, though. Have yet to install it, and if the trouble installing it is anything like what I've gone through installing other packages...

I just wish there was some media player that was written in Java, that was FAST, too.
You can fool some of the people all of the time. The rest will just go along with it. --Me
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Kooothor » 19 Apr 2008, 23:40

:lol:
http://www.flood.fr
Kooothor
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Rhythmbox - The music management application for GNOME

Postby Yoshikazu Matsumoto » 22 Apr 2008, 03:35

http://www.gnome.org/projects/rhythmbox/