System hangs after removing USB Memorystick

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

System hangs after removing USB Memorystick

Postby Ben Ben » 10 Aug 2004, 14:15

When i remove my sub-memory stick after unmounting it,
my Powerbook G3 (Bronze) hangs up and the only possibillity is
to siwtch it off an on again.

I hope you can help me because this makes it impossible for me transferring data via my usb-stick.

The Problem also occurs if i remove other usb-devices that worked on runtime like the usb-mouse, no matter which of the two usb-ports i use.
Ben Ben
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby StarKnight83 » 10 Aug 2004, 16:06

It sounds like you might be getting a kernel panic-it may not be releasing the drivers properly. Check your system/kernel log files for any errors-they should all be date/time coded so you should be able to pinpoint the time when it locks up. Also have you been on a virtual term to see if any messages come up when either trying to unmount it or as you remove the device
Til our paths cross again
StarKnight83

Postby Ben Ben » 11 Aug 2004, 09:54

Also have you been on a virtual term to see if any messages come up when either trying to unmount it or as you remove the device

What do you actually mean by this?
If i unmount it, i'm in a virutal terminal. but i didn't see any message coming up.

EDIT: The only thing i found was in messages is:
usb.c: USB disconnected on device 10:19.0-1 address 2

this time the system worked correctly.
But when i replugged i hangs up. The message therefore (it's the same as during boot with the usb-stick plugged already in before bootin):
hub.c: new USB device 10.19-0.1, assigned address 3
usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x58f/0x9380) is not claimed by any active driver
#than there is sth. about SCSI Emulation for the USB thats fine so far an ith show the right data for the USB Mass Storage Device
#Followd by
USB Mass Storage support registered
ohci1394: $Rev$ Ben Collins ...
ohci1394_0: Unexpected PCI ressource length of 1000!
ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.0 (PCI): IRQ=[40] MMIO[f5000000-f50007ff] Max Packet=[2048]
#After this line the System crashes

And even if the USB-Stick worked after restart, up to now i even can't mount it because "sda1 is no valid blockoriented device
Ben Ben
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby kamika » 11 Aug 2004, 12:20

how was the memory stick formatted?

i had problems with mine getting data to read under windows, etc.

I found out that formatting it as superfloppy was
the best way for me.

Never had a problem since.

greets kamika :shock:
kamika
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ben Ben » 12 Aug 2004, 10:00

i think it was standard windows FAT. It worked without any problems before. The only thing was the crash after removing.
Or do i have to do anything else than unmounting bevore removing any usb-device? Because with the USB-nouse its the same.
Ben Ben
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to General