Help setting up file sharing with windows

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Help setting up file sharing with windows

Postby Psychosanity » 06 Dec 2008, 22:21

Hi, first of all, thank you for reading my post. Second of all, i need help setting up file sharing between my PS3 running YDL 5.01, and my PC running windows xp. I've looked at many tutorials and it seems pretty straight forward to do. But for whatever reason, I can't get it to work.

Both the PS3 and PC are connected via ethernet cords (LAN) into a NetGear DSL router.

I have set up a home network on the PC, and enabled file sharing to the folder that I want to get into with the PS3

Then on the PS3, i used Nautilus, went to File / Connect to Server, and filled the following information as...

Service type: Windows Share
Server: DONOVAN-FAMILY (my pc name)
Share: Videos
Name to use for connection: Family Computer
(all other info I left blank)

Then I click connect, it trys to connect, then says "Cannot show file contents"

I have also tryed to type in "E:\Alex\Videos" (the address starting from My Computer) in case it wanted the full folder address, but that failed too.

I know the firewall is not blocking me, I know that windows gets no indication that I am trying to connect to it, and I can't see what the problem is

I should also mention I have no previous networking experiance and just started to get the hang of YDL.

Anyway I hope that's enough info to point out what I may be doing wrong or what the problem might be. Any suggestions, ideas, or thoughts are greatly appretiated!
Psychosanity
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Help setting up file sharing with windows

Postby ppietro » 07 Dec 2008, 01:33

Psychosanity wrote:I used Nautilus, went to File / Connect to Server, and filled the following information as...

Service type: Windows Share
Server: DONOVAN-FAMILY (my pc name)
Share: Videos
Name to use for connection: Family Computer
(all other info I left blank)

Then I click connect, it trys to connect, then says "Cannot show file contents"!

I wonder if it's an issue with trying to find the machine via its name. Perhaps, as a first step, you might try your PC's IP address instead.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychosanity » 07 Dec 2008, 23:12

Good idea, but it failled too... i'm out of ideas besides switching from YDL 5.0 to 6.0. and hope that fixes the problem, but I really don't want to pay for YDL 6... the ps3 already burnt a hole in my wallet. But I really don't think even that would help since the tutorial I followed was written for the 5.0 version. Anyone else have ideas?
Psychosanity
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 08 Dec 2008, 02:20

Psychosanity wrote:Good idea, but it failled too... i'm out of ideas besides switching from YDL 5.0 to 6.0. and hope that fixes the problem, but I really don't want to pay for YDL 6... the ps3 already burnt a hole in my wallet. But I really don't think even that would help since the tutorial I followed was written for the 5.0 version. Anyone else have ideas?

Ummm - 6.0 is free. :D

http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/yellowdo ... 080207.iso

Besides - the networking in this case is the same for 5.0x and 6.0. I used the exact same steps to talk to my Win XP network share from both versions of YDL.

Next steps to try/consider. Are you using passwords on your PC? Do they match the password on your Linux box? Can you try the same user & password on both boxes? Have you tried setting the "Everyone" account to full access on the share on the PC?

Are you logging in the PS3 as a normal user or as root? You should try it as a normal user, if you haven't already.

Even simpler step - can you ping the PC from the PS3? Can any other Windows box in your house connect to that share? (i.e. make sure the Firewall is set correctly.)

There are many ideas - these are just a few more to start with.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psychosanity » 20 Dec 2008, 14:04

I tryed pinging my family computer as suggested, and no responce. It's odd because even with my firewall down, i can't get a responce. I belive the problem lies within my router. I'll be looking into that in the router faq's. Thanks for your help paul. :D
Psychosanity
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General