WICD Crash on launch

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

WICD Crash on launch

Postby jigzat » 30 Dec 2008, 21:35

Hello everyone, I'm having an issue with the WICD Manager. It crash when it is launched.

This is the error log:

Error Information:
An exit code of 1 was returned from wicd-client --no-tray.

Output Data:
Attempting to connect tray to daemon...
Success.
refreshing...

Error Logs:
Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files
Introspect error: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 557, in ?
main(sys.argv)
File "/usr/lib/wicd/wicd-client.py", line 531, in main
the_gui = gui.appGui()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 1262, in __init__
self.refresh_networks(fresh=False)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/wicd/gui.py", line 1740, in refresh_networks
if wired.CheckPluggedIn() or wired.GetAlwaysShowWiredInterface():
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 102, in __call__
reply_message = self._connection.send_with_reply_and_block(message, timeout)
File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 455, in dbus_bindings.Connection.send_with_reply_and_block
dbus_bindings.DBusException: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

It seems it is not just happening in Macs but also on the PS3, a guy reported the same issue with his PS3 installation.

I have an Imac G4 700 Mhz 768 Ram, my network is a mixed b/g with WPA/TKTIP encryption. The Router is a belkin. I don't think it has anything to do with my network but I put the info just in case.

Any ideas, I'm a newbie in Linux.
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: WICD Crash on launch

Postby minimouse » 31 Dec 2008, 03:25

I am having the same problem. futher more i get the following in the error log:

introspect error: the name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files

a guiding hand would be appreciated as i am a newbie also
minimouse
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby minimouse » 31 Dec 2008, 06:39

I did a reinstall and now i have the "obtaining IP address" issue that doesnt seem to connect on a WEP connection!!!
minimouse
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby minimouse » 31 Dec 2008, 08:39

here is my explanation and the solution to this problem (stuck on Obtaining IP assdress). If you were like me you probably read through the 'A GUIDE TO INSTALLING YELLOW DOG LINUX 6.1' where our good friend recommends that you should go for a beverage. unfortunately, he probably started some alcoholic beverage instead and didn't complete this important piece of configuring the network dynamically. So here is my simple fix if you are using a wireless router (that does not entertain making changes through a non-gui interface.)

1) reinstall linux (or suffer reading countless useless threads on this forum )
2) in the network configuration section, deselect eth0 (I have no use for it and if you are connecting wireless neither will you)
3) check the wlan0 box and configure it to use dynamic ip for 1pv4 and auto neighbor for ipv6 (I dont know why the deselect it by default)
4) enter the encryption and SID if you have one - mine was WES if you dont have one then leave as blank (and let your neighbors hack into your internet connection)

this should configure your IP dynamically as opposed to statically which is the only way you are going to get it working if you miss this step.
(in the case that you did miss this step and you dont want to reinstall. you will have to setup the ip and submask and all the dns not-so-fun-stuff and connect it manually. and you will probably have to change the settings on your pc/router to make the ip static as well (otherwise if dynamic it will change the IP and your linux will not recognize it)

good luck

ps: how do I disable my account from this forum?
minimouse
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jigzat » 31 Dec 2008, 20:34

I'm going to reinstall again and follow your steps. But I don't think I should move my network to WEP, is way too insecure and I have this "friend" who I think has been trying to hack into my network.
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby minimouse » 31 Dec 2008, 22:25

jigzat wrote:I'm going to reinstall again and follow your steps. But I don't think I should move my network to WEP, is way too insecure and I have this "friend" who I think has been trying to hack into my network.

do you even know what WEP is?
minimouse
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby jigzat » 31 Dec 2008, 22:34

Isn't an encryption method for wireless networks? Anyway I read that wireshark can easily find out the key for a given wireless network and that WPA/WPA2 is recommended instead. Anyway I just reinstall YDL and the issue it is still there. I try to reconfigure the network devices and it seems it is detecting the airport as a wired ethernet link. I deleted all the devices and re-add them with the proper settings but it seems changes won't take effect, even as root. When I close the configuration panel and open it again it has all the original settings.
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby flip » 01 Jan 2009, 00:22

lol wait till ppetrio comes back from vacation he has the knowledge on how to make the wireless work on ydl 6.1 if you become impatient you end out messing things up with out a purpose not saying that mini method wasn't simplistic and workable but may not work the same for others.

happy new years
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby flip » 01 Jan 2009, 02:20

Ok from doing a search i might have found a solution i take no credit for this work the author could be found in either of the website i will provide

Author-Psmaniaco http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_yellow-d ... _1144243_s

this tut has been translated using google translate i hope this helps with any of you having problems i have not tried this method but from reading the above website from my understanding they have got good responds with this. let me know if it all works out for you guys and again i take no credit for this.

ANNEX 1: How to properly configure the WEP or WiFi networks without security

In the release notes of Yellow Dog Linux 6.1, warns that WiFi Playstation 3 is supported but the Network Manager (the program that is used to connect to WiFi networks) is not working properly so we set up the connection to hand. " To do this we Psmaniaco our colleague has written a guide:

Well I finally managed to set the Wifi happy, because I have the manual configuration and attempt to get the DHCP IP (got to communicate with the router) but returned to error, must be done to set these:

1 Enter "Network Settings", you will see Ethernet devices (eth0) and Wireless (wlan0) off.

2nd bookmarking inalambrico (wlan0) and go to the Edit option at the top.

3rd Entering saldran Modify several options, which put the mark "to activate the device when the computer starts" and "Allow all users to enable and disable the device" (this may not be necessary but I put it so ).
Then check the option that says "Configuring a static IP address" and "Address" to bring the IP asignareis the console (eg 192.168.xx, etc.) in "Subnet Mask" in most of the Sometimes it is put in 255.255.255.0 "Gateway Address" to put the gateway router (on the Telefonica usually 192.168.1.1 but can vary depending on the router, check the addresses of your router), the rest of options emerging dejadlas as they are.

4th After going to the option that says "wireless" and adjust the settings that put "mode" is put in "Auto", then that says "Network name (SSID) can check the option" Auto "or" Specific "(Here you'll put the name of your wireless network, automatically take the name automatically).
Now the options are important, "Channel" select the channel of transmission that elijais (9 I have set, select one that is free, you can refer to the setup menu of your router (may vary depending on the model or not to go in same menu)) in "Speed of transmission" and this is very important to select 11M and ultimately where it says "Key (use 0x for hex)" put your wireless encryption key (I think it worth while for the WEP encryption WPA, I think for the WPA put 0x in front if this hex, I have put mine without 0x and I entered without any problems) and click "OK."

5th return to the menu of "Network Settings", go to the tab that says "DNS" and where it says "Hostname" you can leave it as it is, the choices are those who put "DNS Primary and Secondary DNS "must put the DNS your ISP and other options on this tab are left as is.

6th After returning to the tab "Devices" and the option that says "File" (top left) select "Save" and you save the settings, press the last option for "Turn" and tried to activate the wireless card wlan0, If the active connection to verify that you have to restart the Linux, if given the error "Can not Set bitrate ignoradlo at boot, you have to make when you boot OK, if you will be put online, and if probais browsing browsing felicidades, habreis achieved configure the wireless connection.

PS: I put this configuration with the resolution to 1080i, the 480i does not think a resolution is reached to see the menu of "wireless settings" and as you can not move the adjustment, that's a problem-solving and which is very low and the menus are very large, apart from that I have WEP encryption not know if they will ajuestes the WPA encryption (if I serve), is poorly.
A greeting.
Last edited by flip on 01 Jan 2009, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby jigzat » 01 Jan 2009, 02:58

Hey man thanks a lot for it, I will follow those instructions and post how it went. And by the way thanks for bothering translating it but I will follow the spanish instructions (spanish is my main language).
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby flip » 01 Jan 2009, 03:32

no problem tell me how it went im kinda sick im not buy by the ps3 im in bed with the laptop, i would have tried it out but niquil has me in bed for new years eve :|
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby jigzat » 01 Jan 2009, 23:17

Hello everyone Happy New Year. It seems the issue was again WPA/WPA2. I just needed to switch to WEP and everything is working... well, except WICD manager which is totally broken. I found it weird that everyone talks about wlan devices yet yellow dog doesn't seem to use that concept. It works with eth for all network devices. I think I'm going to wait for a detailed instructions for enabling WPA on YDL 6.1 since the instructions found by flip were for 5.0 and there was some changes in the commands.
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby flip » 01 Jan 2009, 23:35

did the method i posted work for wep ? I have another blog that seems to help in wpa once again i take no credit for this

http://stephenventer.blogspot.com/2008/ ... n-ps3.html
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby jigzat » 02 Jan 2009, 04:59

Yeah for WEP it works except that I didn't see wlan devices anywhere. Actually network configuration is very straight forward but as always WPA seems to be broken or missing. I just realize that I confused the link you gave me with some other I had open. Some guy in that forum gave some instructions to fix the wicd manager. I'm going to try that out later when I finish syncing my Ipod through USB 1 :? and then I will try WPA.

This is what the guy says will fix the wicd :

Edit this file as super user : /etc/wicd/manager-settings.conf
look for the line that says : signal_display_type
Change the value False to 0
Reboot
saute with lemon and extra virgin olive oil and eat.
jigzat
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby flip » 02 Jan 2009, 05:38

lol cool
flip
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Next

Return to General