Configuring a Linksys WRT54GS router for ydl 6.1

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Configuring a Linksys WRT54GS router for ydl 6.1

Postby allhopeisgone » 05 Jan 2009, 17:06

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a linksys WRT54GS router for ydl 6.1 I have manually entered the network configurations but I still am unable to get online. My wireless router does show up and when I connect to it the wifi initiator lights up on my ps3. I'm not having problems connecting to or using the internet in the ps3 xmb any suggestions?
allhopeisgone
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Configuring a Linksys WRT54GS router for ydl 6.1

Postby ppietro » 05 Jan 2009, 18:13

allhopeisgone wrote:Hey I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up a linksys WRT54GS router for ydl 6.1 I have manually entered the network configurations but I still am unable to get online. My wireless router does show up and when I connect to it the wifi initiator lights up on my ps3. I'm not having problems connecting to or using the internet in the ps3 xmb any suggestions?

Hiya!

First of all - start with my tips 'n' tricks page here:
viewtopic.php?t=3399

Generally - if you have to manually enter the IP settings to connect to your Wireless access point - you haven't really connected. Linux networking bypasses Wireless authentication when you manually enter IP information.

Be sure you're using 64 bit WEP, open system, Hex password, and that there are no spaces in your access point name - either on the PS3 or on the Access Point itself.

After you get it working, then you can tweak the settings to configure it more the way you want it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby allhopeisgone » 07 Jan 2009, 08:33

hmm i'm still having difficulty connecting, i've entered everything manually and i still cant get a connection i've tried entering Ox before my key but no luck. my access point and my wep key contain no spaces i'm at a loss to what to do.
allhopeisgone
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Jan 2009, 11:13

allhopeisgone wrote:hmm i'm still having difficulty connecting, i've entered everything manually and i still cant get a connection i've tried entering Ox before my key but no luck. my access point and my wep key contain no spaces i'm at a loss to what to do.

Are you using the letter O or the number 0 (zero)? It looks like you're using the letter O - it needs to be the number zero 0.

Also - you'd only do that if you're using a HEX key. ASCII keys do not need the 0x.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby allhopeisgone » 07 Jan 2009, 17:51

oh thats good to know, i did change it to zero but it didnt change anything i still cant use the browser. also how to you determine which type of wep security you have? i have att dsl (formally sbc yahoo) if this helps.
Last edited by allhopeisgone on 08 Jan 2009, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
allhopeisgone
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 07 Jan 2009, 20:10

allhopeisgone wrote:oh thats good to know, i did change it to zero but it didnt change anything i still cant use the browser. also how to you determine which type of wep security you have? i have att dsl (fomally sbc yahoo) if this helps.

You'd have to check your router to determine what type of WEP security you're using. As a rule of thumb, a 64-bit Hex key consists of 10 Hex digits (0-9, a-f), while an ASCII key would be some sort of passphrase.

Usually - there's some sort of web configuration page on your Wireless Access Point that will tell you these things.

There is a possibility that your DSL connection is PPPoE. Linux is notorious for having issues with this. If I understand your connection correctly, your Linksys Router/Access point is plugged into your DSL. If your DSL is PPPoE, you may have to configure your router to connect to the upstream provider, rather than Linux.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General