Pidgin and MSN trouble

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Pidgin and MSN trouble

Postby billb » 12 Jan 2009, 19:20

I was just using Pidgin with my MSN messenger account yesterday, but today it stopped working. I get the following error:

Invalid certificate authority signature

The certificate chain presented by login.live.com does not have a valid digital signature from the Certificate Authority from which it claims to have a signature.

This is with pidgin-2.5.2 (the latest version in YDL 6.1 updates).

Ah, just checked the site: http://www.pidgin.im/

We are aware of the problems connecting to MSN with Pidgin 2.5.3 and older. We hope to have a new release and packages out soon to fix this.
(2.5.3 is the latest source release available)
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pidgin and MSN trouble

Postby billb » 13 Jan 2009, 17:10

A new version was released just released -- 2.5.4

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ChangeLog

Need to see about updating ...
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mkdosh » 18 Feb 2009, 02:30

I'm a newbee and this seems to be the problem I got with Pidgin/MSN. It worked once and never again.

My question is which OS of the new version, 2.5.4, do I download? There seems to be about four to choose from the linked web site (Windows, Fedora Core, CentOS/RHEL and Mac OS X).

I'm running YDL 6.1 on a PS3 (80G).

Merv
mkdosh
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 02:54

mkdosh wrote:I'm a newbee and this seems to be the problem I got with Pidgin/MSN. It worked once and never again.

Really? Mine worked last time I checked. Once pidgin fails to make a connection, it won't try again until you intervene. Have you manually tried to re-connect?

I'll try it again and see if it's still broken for me with MSN.

mkdosh wrote:My question is which OS of the new version, 2.5.4, do I download? There seems to be about four to choose from the linked web site (Windows, Fedora Core, CentOS/RHEL and Mac OS X).

I'm running YDL 6.1 on a PS3 (80G).

None of those, unfortunately. The RHEL/CentOS would be your closest bet - but they're all x86 & x86_64 specific - not PowerPC, which is what the core of the PS3 uses.

If you wanted to use a newer pidgin, you'd most likely have to build it from source - which isn't trivial. :(

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 18 Feb 2009, 03:50

ppietro wrote:If you wanted to use a newer pidgin, you'd most likely have to build it from source - which isn't trivial. :(

Cheers,
Paul

Yeah, source is the way to go if you use frequently updated applications, like pidgin/carrier. As Paul said, it's not trivial to set up YDL 6.1 for source builds, but it's not too difficult. It involves editing a couple of configuration files as root.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 04:09

CronoCloud wrote:
ppietro wrote:If you wanted to use a newer pidgin, you'd most likely have to build it from source - which isn't trivial. :(

Yeah, source is the way to go if you use frequently updated applications, like pidgin/carrier. As Paul said, it's not trivial to set up YDL 6.1 for source builds, but it's not too difficult. It involves editing a couple of configuration files as root.

Actually - I meant building Pidgin isn't trivial. :D

I built the latest version of Pidgin from scratch on Mac OS X once - they have X Windows too - and it required the building of a number of dependent libraries. (gtkspell, libpurple, etc.)

It wasn't as difficult as building a cutting edge version of Firefox on the PS2, mind you. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CronoCloud » 18 Feb 2009, 05:12

ppietro wrote:
I built the latest version of Pidgin from scratch on Mac OS X once - they have X Windows too - and it required the building of a number of dependent libraries. (gtkspell, libpurple, etc.)

Ahhh, YDL has most of the dependent libraries (though I still have to disable some obscure features to get the configure to finish, pidgin devs mucked up the configure script so it doesn't automatically disable a feature if you don't have the required lib) and libpurple source should be included in the pidgin tarball.

It wasn't as difficult as building a cutting edge version of Firefox on the PS2, mind you. :D

Cheers,
Paul

I built a GTK2 + Freetype2 + other optional stuff Firefox (made text pretty and enhanced legibility on NTSC) on the PS2 once.....just once. Day long compile, not as bad as wxwidgets/wxPython, but still. After that, I went back to using your builds.

Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
CronoCloud

Postby ppietro » 18 Feb 2009, 12:04

CronoCloud wrote:
ppietro wrote:It wasn't as difficult as building a cutting edge version of Firefox on the PS2, mind you. :D

I built a GTK2 + Freetype2 + other optional stuff Firefox (made text pretty and enhanced legibility on NTSC) on the PS2 once.....just once. Day long compile, not as bad as wxwidgets/wxPython, but still. After that, I went back to using your builds.

Ah yes - PS2 Linux and Firefox - good times. :D

Where were we? Oh yes - pidgin.

So - you might try running Software Updater, and see if there's a newer version of Pidgin. According to the about box, I'm running 2.5.2-6.el5, and I'm having no trouble connecting to MSN right now.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mkdosh » 19 Feb 2009, 02:24

Pidgin / MSN IM problem went away after I deleted my account and re-established it. I've re-booted a couple of times and it seems to connect me every time, now.

Merv
mkdosh
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby billb » 20 Feb 2009, 16:04

I don't have the problem I mentioned any more -- I believe there may have been an update to pidgin from YDL since my OP. I'm not having any issues with pidgin now, anyway. :mrgreen:
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now Pidgin has trouble with ICQ

Postby Tobe » 15 Mar 2009, 02:04

Now Pidgin makes problems with ICQ, even if you use version 2.5.2.

On http://www.pidgin.im they tell you that
"ICQ is reporting errors in some locations which are generally fixed by upgrading to 2.5.5".
But how can we do that?
Tobe

Re: Now Pidgin has trouble with ICQ

Postby ppietro » 15 Mar 2009, 06:28

Tobe wrote:Now Pidgin makes problems with ICQ, even if you use version 2.5.2.

"ICQ is reporting errors in some locations which are generally fixed by upgrading to 2.5.5".
But how can we do that?

Wait for CentOS/YDL to update it? :D

If CentOS has an updated SRPM, I'll build it when I get a chance.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Now Pidgin has trouble with ICQ

Postby CronoCloud » 15 Mar 2009, 06:41

Tobe wrote:
But how can we do that?

Use the source Luke, I mean Tobe, as I said above. For frequently updated applications like pidgin, it's the best way to keep up.

CronoCloud

Postby Tobe » 28 Mar 2009, 19:15

On my system the problems with ICQ seem to be gone - without doing anything. :wink:

- Tobe -
Tobe

Return to General