Location of Cell SDK Files

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Location of Cell SDK Files

Postby msinclair » 12 Feb 2009, 01:06

Hi everyone,

As I'm fairly new to YDL, this might be better suited for the Beginners section, but it seemed more like a general question to me. I'm using YDL 5.1 with Cell SDK 2.0 (which I'll be upgrading to 2.1 soon) so I can explore the SDK. I don't want to use YDL 6.X or SDK 3.X yet because I'm working on some research that I picked up from a student that was using 2.1. Thus, I want to fix their code before upgrading :). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows where YDL 5.X installs the Cell SDK files? For example, I want to know where the make.footer file is. I tried going to the root of the kernel and doing "sudo find . -name make.footer", but nothing turned up. Thanks for your help!

Matt
msinclair
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Location of Cell SDK Files

Postby ppietro » 12 Feb 2009, 06:57

msinclair wrote:As I'm fairly new to YDL, this might be better suited for the Beginners section, but it seemed more like a general question to me. I'm using YDL 5.1 with Cell SDK 2.0 (which I'll be upgrading to 2.1 soon) so I can explore the SDK. I don't want to use YDL 6.X or SDK 3.X yet because I'm working on some research that I picked up from a student that was using 2.1. Thus, I want to fix their code before upgrading :). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows where YDL 5.X installs the Cell SDK files? For example, I want to know where the make.footer file is. I tried going to the root of the kernel and doing "sudo find . -name make.footer", but nothing turned up. Thanks for your help!

As mentioned in your other question, there is no YDL 5.1 - I have no idea which version you're using. There was a YDL 5.0, 5.0.1 and 5.0.2. (Fedora based) Then, we got a YDL 6.0 and 6.1. (CentOS/RHEL based) But - no 5.1. :D

See here: http://ydl.oregonstate.edu/iso/

Although I haven't used YDL 5.0.2 in a very long time - most of us use 6.1 now - I seem to recall that the SDK was not completely installed. So - you should go ahead and install the Cell 2.1 SDK. Just assume that there's only Cell support in YDL 5.x and not a complete SDK.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby msinclair » 12 Feb 2009, 19:34

Hi Paul,

I was following the instructions on the website for upgrading the kernel to enable to use of wireless:

http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... nfig.shtml
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... rnel.shtml

So I guess it's still technically 5.0.2 in terms of what the libraries are, etc. Anyways, what you responded to me (that there's only support) is what I was finding, so thanks for the confirmation!

Matt
msinclair
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby msinclair » 13 Feb 2009, 19:54

I'm actually have the same problem with the Cell SDK 3.1 files now in YDL 6.1. Do I need to download the install "stuff" from IBM's site and install those also? Or are the files hiding somewhere I can't seem to find them?

Matt
msinclair
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby juanito » 14 Feb 2009, 10:24

msinclair wrote:Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows where YDL 5.X installs the Cell SDK files? For example, I want to know where the make.footer file is. I tried going to the root of the kernel and doing "sudo find . -name make.footer", but nothing turned up.

In ydl-6.1 with sdk-3.1, the make.footer is under /opt/cell/sdk - leastaways "export CELL_TOP=/opt/cell/sdk" allows "make" to work.
ps3 60gb, cechc04, fw-3.15, ydl-6.2/cblfs multi-lib dual boot
dell 2009w monitor, logitech mediaboard (usb)
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby msinclair » 16 Feb 2009, 17:59

Maybe I had a bad version of YDL 6.1 then, because over the weekend I actually had to install Cell SDK 3.1 manually in order to have anything in my /opt/ directory. When I installed YDL 6.1, there was nothing in there.
msinclair
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby juanito » 16 Feb 2009, 18:36

I think that's the way ydl is - I had nothing under /opt/cell in ydl-6.0 until I installed the cell-sdk and the only thing under /opt/cell after the upgrade to ydl-6.1 was the files I had installed in ydl-6.0.

Perhaps there's an install switch for the cell-sdk that we both missed...
ps3 60gb, cechc04, fw-3.15, ydl-6.2/cblfs multi-lib dual boot
dell 2009w monitor, logitech mediaboard (usb)
juanito
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby susanspy » 09 Mar 2009, 18:17

Hello all,

i am susan i see that there is no option other than installing cell-sdk we just do not get anything under ydl-6.0 without installing it, so i am installing that & getting back to let you all know if that worked fine.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

Cheers!!!
susanspy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby msinclair » 30 Apr 2009, 20:04

Hi Susan,

Yes, the experience I had was that I needed to "re-install" (aka install) the Cell SDK 3.1 after installing YDL 6.1. To the best of my knowledge, the actual install of YDL 6.1 only comes with ppu-gdb / spu-gdb, the specialized debuggers for the Cell. The actual SDK you would use for development, however, does not seem to have been included. Naturally, installing the SDK from the IBM website solved this issue, but it took a little finagling to get this to work.

Hope this helps,
Matt
msinclair
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby msinclair » 30 Apr 2009, 20:13

I also should have mentioned that the main "location" of the files on the drive, at least for me, was:

/opt/cell

The SDK was:

/opt/cell/sdk

Matt
msinclair
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General