problem setting up wireless (noob)

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

problem setting up wireless (noob)

Postby redfox45 » 13 Feb 2009, 18:10

I just tried activating my wireless connection by following these steps.

1 Open the Network Configuration control panel (In E17 ---> Applications --> System Tools --> Network (Network Configuration)) and click the Devices tab.
2 Click New.
3 In the resultant Add new Device Type dialog box, in the Select Device Type section, select Ethernet connection in the Device Type column and click Forward.
4 In the resultant Select Ethernet Device section, select PlayStation 3 Gigabit Ethernet (eth0) and click Forward.
5 In the resultant Configure Network Settings section, set your Hostname (if necessary) and click Forward.
6 In the Create Ethernet Device section, click Apply.
7 Back at the Network Configuration control panel, select File --> Save and click OK.
8 Close the Network Configuration control panel.
9 Open a terminal window, and switch to root user with the su command.
10 In the terminal window, type cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
11 In the terminal window, type gedit ifcfg-eth0
12 In the resultant gedit window, look for the TYPE=Ethernet entry, and change it to TYPE=Wireless.
13 Look for the DEVICE=eth0 and change it to DEVICE=wlan0
14 Click the Save button and close gedit (File --> Quit)
15 Close the terminal window.
16 Open the Network Configuration control panel and click the Devices tab.
17 Double click on the Inactive Wireless entry.
18 In the resultant Wireless Device Configuration dialog box, click the General tab, and change the Nickname to wlan0.
19 Click the Wireless Settings tab.
20 Click Specified and manually enter your wireless access point name (SSID).
21 Enter your WEP key in the Key field. (Don't forget to add a 0x for Hex WEP keys.)
22 Click OK to close the Wireless Device Configuration dialog box.
23 Back at the Network Configuration control panel, click File --> Save from the menu bar and click OK.
24 Now, click the Activate button.
25 Close the Network Configuration control panel.
Wireless networking is now configured and functional

When I clicked activate it didn't work and the only issue I had with this guide was around step 12 I noticed that the guide was implying that this window was supposed to have text in it and mine didn't so I tried typing the text in from scratch. Was this the cause of the problem? Why was there nothing in that window to change?
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: problem setting up wireless (noob)

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 18:31

redfox45 wrote:When I clicked activate it didn't work and the only issue I had with this guide was around step 12 I noticed that the guide was implying that this window was supposed to have text in it and mine didn't so I tried typing the text in from scratch. Was this the cause of the problem? Why was there nothing in that window to change?

Yes - that was the cause of the problem. It should have had text in it. You may have been in the wrong directory when you started gedit. Check step 10 again.

Also - you posted this question in the general forum. It's probably best in one of the beginners or installation forums. Also - you don't state which computer you have. It sounds like you might have a PS3 - in which case, this post could also have gone in the Playstation 3 forum.

(Don't move or repost it now - we'll answer it here. It's just easier for us to guess your machine type if you ask the question in the appropriate forum. :D)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby redfox45 » 13 Feb 2009, 21:08

ok sorry it is on the PS3 I was under the impression that YDL was only on the PS3.

But anyway I deleted everything in the network configuration window and created a new ethernet connection.

The reason why the gedit was blank was because I needed to create an active eth0 connection (last time I tried to create an active wlan from an inactive eth). So I did and this time the text appeared in the gedit and I changed what I was told to change and did all the wireless info blah blah blah.

I saved and clicked activate and it still didnt work.

"determining ip information for wlan...failed"
EXACTLY what it said last time. (I still have the ethernet cable connected, do I need to take that out before it can work)
is there anything else it could be?
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 13 Feb 2009, 21:44

redfox45 wrote:(I still have the ethernet cable connected, do I need to take that out before it can work)

Yes - most likely. On the PS3, the Ethernet cable and Wireless share the same MAC address.

Also - you'll want to look here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4534
and here:
viewtopic.php?t=3399

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby redfox45 » 13 Feb 2009, 23:08

ok I have solved it

I did notice the 0x rule but didnt realise my WEP was HEX until I saw it in that tips thread :oops: . Thanks for the help :mrgreen:
redfox45
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General