PS one emulator

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

PS one emulator

Postby TJLYD » 26 Feb 2009, 19:07

Are there any good PS one emulators for YDL 6.1 ? I know the PS3 can play some PS one games but its hard to find most of those games these days.
TJLYD
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: PS one emulator

Postby ppietro » 26 Feb 2009, 21:08

TJLYD wrote:Are there any good PS one emulators for YDL 6.1 ? I know the PS3 can play some PS one games but its hard to find most of those games these days.

Not really - no. The best PS 1 emulators I've seen require OpenGL - and Linux on the PS3 is prevented from using accelerated OpenGL because of the hypervisor.

Plus - the native PS3 can play PS1 games much better than any of the emulators. (Even though it's using emulation itself. :D) There's only a couple of PS1 games it can't play.

As for finding PS1 games - I go to pawnshops, ebay - or just download licensed versions from the PlayStation Network.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. If you have a PSP, you can play your PS1 discs from your PS3 via Remote Play. Not so great for racing games - but terrific for RPGs.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PS one emulator

Postby CronoCloud » 28 Feb 2009, 05:01

ppietro wrote:Plus - the native PS3 can play PS1 games much better than any of the emulators. (Even though it's using emulation itself. :D) There's only a couple of PS1 games it can't play.

I once tried epsxe on our old Gateway 400sp laptop. Mind you this was a 2.2GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM, Intel 852/855GME machine. I used my actual PS1 CD's in the machine's drive. It couldn't run any at full speed and some it couldn't run at all. As you said, whatever emulation the PS3 is doing is much much better than any emulator. Except for the sound, it doesn't seem 100% accurate but that may just be the difference between HDMI fed audio to my TV monitor's speakers and feeding RCA audio to the stereo boombox I used to have the PS1/PS2's sound hooked up to.

As for finding PS1 games - I go to pawnshops, ebay - or just download licensed versions from the PlayStation Network.

Same here. pawnshop mostly for me, can't find PS1 games much in the used sections of places like Gamestop.

P.S. If you have a PSP, you can play your PS1 discs from your PS3 via Remote Play. Not so great for racing games - but terrific for RPGs.

That surprised me when I found out that you could do that, I'm not for certain it's even mentioned in the manuals. Tried it first with Diablo, but PS1 Diablo's controls suffer because of the lack of L2 and R2. Sure, there's always the PSP's own Untold Legends but sometimes I just gotta play the father of all the Diablo clones. Mega Man Legends suffers as well. You can even play the PSN version of Castlevania SOTN on the PS3 via remote play on the PSP. Sure you can have it directly on the PSP itself, but where's the geekery in that. Remote play is also useful for using the PS3's better web browser so you can play Flash games (Chicken Invaders!) and watch Hulu (Mushy mush)

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to General