Question from legacy user (YDL 5.0.2)

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Question from legacy user (YDL 5.0.2)

Postby uncooldude » 03 Mar 2009, 02:42

"Anybody know if you can install the OpenJDK on YDL 5.0 for the PPC? I found an RPM for java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel-1.6.0.0-0.20.b11.el5.ppc.rpm that's allegedly for FC5, and FC5 is what YDL 5.0 was based on, right? And a lot of FC5 packages work for YDL 5, right?????

So, will that RPM work? or will I end up with a bunch of crud littering my install?

Sorry for the noob-level question, but there's been some turmoil in my life since I got started with YDL last year, and I haven't had the chance to become an expert."
You can fool some of the people all of the time. The rest will just go along with it. --Me
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Question from legacy user (YDL 5.0.2)

Postby ppietro » 03 Mar 2009, 03:20

uncooldude wrote:"Anybody know if you can install the OpenJDK on YDL 5.0 for the PPC? I found an RPM for java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel-1.6.0.0-0.20.b11.el5.ppc.rpm that's allegedly for FC5, and FC5 is what YDL 5.0 was based on, right? And a lot of FC5 packages work for YDL 5, right?????

So, will that RPM work? or will I end up with a bunch of crud littering my install?

Sorry for the noob-level question, but there's been some turmoil in my life since I got started with YDL last year, and I haven't had the chance to become an expert."

Actually - that's not for FC5. See the el5 in the title? That's Enterprise Linux 5 - i.e. RHEL 5, which is what YDL 6.x is based on.

According to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_En ... tributions that corresponds to Fedora Core 6, which is probably too new for YDL 5.0.2.

Also - I've never installed OpenJDK - so as for "crud" - it's quite possible, yes.

Speaking now as a Java developer, is there a particular reason this user is trying to install OpenJDK? I find that IBM's Java for PowerPC works really well and it passes all of the Java compatibility tests.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

update

Postby uncooldude » 03 Mar 2009, 03:32

Ok, sorry, I didn't see the el5 part in the name, and in the entry at rmp.pbone.net, it claimed that this RPM was for the FC5 distribution.

Anyway, the only reason I'm trying to use OpenJDK is that I hadn't heard of the other one. You see, as a fairly new Linux/Open source/Mac X user, with an ancient system (which, despite its age, I am nevertheless proud of), the resources i have at my disposal can be frustrating in both their obscurity and their arcane-ness. Plus, since I don't have access to the internet at home, I'm really hamstrung in the amount of research I can do. (Arrrrgh!)

I'm just trying to learn Java (in a post-JavaSE-5.0 DK) at this point, but Sun does not supply a JDK for Linux-PPC (or if they do, they sure don't advertise it).

Thanks for the info.

P.S. I'm really disappointed that YDL 6.0 dropped the iMac G3 as a supported platform. YDL is the only operating system that I've been able to get to run on my system without any advanced-level fiddling.
Question 1: any plan to bring the G3 iMac back into the fold for YDL 7?

P.P.S. Since you are a Java developer AND are familiar with the PowerPC line of processors, can you tell me, off the top of your head...Question 2: which of the IBM download(s) I should get for my aforementioned iMac? I know what damage the word "assume" can do, but I'm "assuming" that the proper download might be for the "32-bit iSeries/pSeries". Every page on the subject that I've read so far has done nothing but punch me in my solar plexus and then steal my lunch money.

P.P.P.S. Question 3: Can you think of a word that would be equivalent to the non-word "arcane-ness"? :)

P.P.P.P.S. Sorry for all the questions!
You can fool some of the people all of the time. The rest will just go along with it. --Me
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: update

Postby ppietro » 03 Mar 2009, 08:24

uncooldude wrote:I'm just trying to learn Java (in a post-JavaSE-5.0 DK) at this point, but Sun does not supply a JDK for Linux-PPC (or if they do, they sure don't advertise it).

You're correct - Sun does not supply a Java for PowerPC Linux. But - IBM does - and it's Sun licensed. :D

Start by looking thru this post:
viewtopic.php?t=2935

As indicated in that post, the 32 bit IBM Java should do the trick. You can either install Java 5.0 or 6.0.

You might have to install extra compatibility libraries. Check here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2935&p=11088#p11088

Question 1: any plan to bring the G3 iMac back into the fold for YDL 7?

Unfortunately, I don't work for Fixstars in any capacity. We're all volunteers on this board - so your guess is as good as mine.

Also - I'm probably not the best person to ask this. Currently - I'm running YDL on a PS3. I haven't run YDL on a Mac since I installed it on a Power Computing Mac clone in 1996 or so. :oops:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncooldude » 07 Mar 2009, 01:35

Well, I thought I'd post back on this thread one more time, because I know from personal experience that it's annoying when some noob posts a question, gets good advice, and then never posts back to let everyone else know how it worked out.

First off, "thanx" ppietro, for the info on IBM's JDK for the Linux/PPC platform. Before you even posted back to my second set of questions, I raced over to IBM's site, downloaded the JDK that I "assumed" was the right one, read the install notes, got the libstdc++ legacy headers (and libraries, or whatever), ran rpm -ivh on both packages, set the PATH value in my .bashrc file, and...

...BOOM! functioning JDK, Java version 1.6! (Or 6.0, or 2.0-6.0-1.6, or whatever they're calling it nowadays). Anyhoo, it was maybe the easiest install of ANY large app/package on ANY platform that I've ever had. (Well, other than that warez version of office '04 on mac X. Wait, I'm kidding. I don't have any warez! Holey crap, how'd the FBI get here so fast????)

Second, woo-hoo, I'm writing Modern Java!

Third, hey, Paul, you didn't come up with a word for "arcane-ness". :)
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 07 Mar 2009, 02:07

uncooldude wrote:Third, hey, Paul, you didn't come up with a word for "arcane-ness". :)

"Linux"

[drum rimshot]

Thanks, folks - I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress - they work hard. Goodnight! :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby uncooldude » 11 Mar 2009, 00:47

Yes, tip your waitresses -- but not too far!

And, yeah, try the veal. It tastes like chicken.
uncooldude
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to General