Help I used too much memory

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Help I used too much memory

Postby Xxenigmanrx1xX » 24 Mar 2009, 23:24

I just tried to log in and I got this message....

GDM could not write to your authoiozed file. This could mean you are out of disk space or your home directory could not be opened for writing. In any case it I'd not possible to log in. Please contact systems admin..

What do I do to fix this
Xxenigmanrx1xX
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Help I used too much memory

Postby ppietro » 25 Mar 2009, 00:36

Xxenigmanrx1xX wrote:I just tried to log in and I got this message....

GDM could not write to your authoiozed file. This could mean you are out of disk space or your home directory could not be opened for writing. In any case it I'd not possible to log in. Please contact systems admin..

What do I do to fix this

The only thing you can do is switch to a text mode with a CTRL-ALT-F1, log in as root, and see how much free space you have left with a df -k command. If you're out of disc space, you'll have to start deleting files, or manually uninstalling software via YUM/RPM.

You can check your home directory permissions like this:
cd /home
ls -al

There should be a directory corresponding to your login name. That's the entry on the far right. Before that, should be the owner & group name. Normally, they're the same as your login name too. However - they sometimes get set to root root If this happens, you can use the chown command to put it back. (Use man chown for help with this)

After you've done both of these steps, you should be able to log out and switch to the GUI with an ALT-F7 - or just use the shutdown -r now command to reboot.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Xxenigmanrx1xX » 25 Mar 2009, 01:16

how do I delete files??
Xxenigmanrx1xX
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby Xxenigmanrx1xX » 25 Mar 2009, 01:55

never mind i figured it out. so i deleted the file i knew that was the source of this mess and iam back on ydl...but there seems to be another problem. when i logged in all my files on the desktop weren't there..now i know i didn't delete them all cause what i did was:

1 i logged in as root.
2. went to "cd /home/jtwright/Desktop
3. then i did "rm -rf [a4e}Paranoi_Agent_01-13" i did rm -rf cause it was a directory file that wasen't empty.
4. then i hit ALT + F7 logged in and all the files on the desktop were missing..what happened?
Xxenigmanrx1xX
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 25 Mar 2009, 03:07

Xxenigmanrx1xX wrote:never mind i figured it out. so i deleted the file i knew that was the source of this mess and iam back on ydl...but there seems to be another problem. when i logged in all my files on the desktop weren't there..now i know i didn't delete them all cause what i did was:

1 i logged in as root.
2. went to "cd /home/jtwright/Desktop
3. then i did "rm -rf [a4e}Paranoi_Agent_01-13" i did rm -rf cause it was a directory file that wasen't empty.
4. then i hit ALT + F7 logged in and all the files on the desktop were missing..what happened?

Well - it either deleted all of your files on the Desktop. Or they're just not showing up.

You can try this:
1. Log in as yourself
2. Open a terminal window
3. In the terminal window, type: cd /home/jtwright/Desktop
4. type: ls -al

If this is empty - you've deleted all the files on your desktop. Otherwise, you might find that the files are now owned by root and don't show up under your normal user. In which case, try the chown command I mentioned earlier to set them back.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Xxenigmanrx1xX » 26 Mar 2009, 21:58

iam sorry for this but when i type chown i get this:

chown: missing operand
Try `chown --help' for more information.

i pretty sure i have to type something else but i dont know. whant am i doing wrong?
Xxenigmanrx1xX
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 26 Mar 2009, 22:45

Xxenigmanrx1xX wrote:iam sorry for this but when i type chown i get this:

chown: missing operand
Try `chown --help' for more information.

i pretty sure i have to type something else but i dont know. whant am i doing wrong?

Whenever you have a text command in Linux that you need help with, try using the man pages. To use man, just type man command

In this case man chown will get you where you need to go.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rogerwillson » 27 Jul 2009, 14:59

Do a defragment on next start up,it will free up your disk memory in some amount. If it's not work then install new version of Windows.
Mind Games
rogerwillson
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby bonedome » 31 Jul 2009, 23:58

Do a defragment on next start up,it will free up your disk memory in some amount. If it's not work then install new version of Windows.
what ?
yellowdog linux
login as root to see if you desktop files have changed ownership.
If those desktop files where simply links the files should still be in your home directory
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 01 Aug 2009, 01:47

bonedome wrote:
what ?
yellowdog linux
login as root to see if you desktop files have changed ownership.
If those desktop files where simply links the files should still be in your home directory

This might be a spammer. If they are, they're not very good because they don't have any hidden spam links in their signature.

I'm watching them to see what's up. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General