WINE controversy

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

WINE controversy

Postby halo204 » 24 Apr 2009, 02:31

I was looking around the site and found a post dealing with the use of WINE. The post said WINE could not be used because of the PPC architecture. I found a website by a terrasoft employee that said you could by using qemu. I would like the opinion of this site's commentators on this process. You have a way of dumbing-down Linux for newbies and this process sounds complicated. I would appreciate your thoughts as well as some simplified instructions. Thanks!:D

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-June/014468.html
halo204
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: WINE controversy

Postby ppietro » 24 Apr 2009, 08:49

halo204 wrote:I was looking around the site and found a post dealing with the use of WINE. The post said WINE could not be used because of the PPC architecture. I found a website by a terrasoft employee that said you could by using qemu. I would like the opinion of this site's commentators on this process. You have a way of dumbing-down Linux for newbies and this process sounds complicated. I would appreciate your thoughts as well as some simplified instructions. Thanks!:D

http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/pipermail/yellowdog-general/2004-June/014468.html

Hmmm - unfortunately, that post is from 2004. There hasn't been much activity since then.

One thing that is promising is QEMU binfmt support. This allows you to "slipstream" QEMU in YDL and run x86 binaries directly. I started playing around with it as a method to get the x86 Adobe Flash plugin working, but I had to stop working on it, since I ran out of free time for the time being.

That being said, I don't see why you couldn't apply this to WINE.

Start here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4667&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Specifically - the simplified instructions are here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4667&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30#p25532

Heh - it's been a while since I've read thru my own thread. :D One of us apparently got WINE working this way - from the same thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4667&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75#p26935

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WINE controversy

Postby halo204 » 24 Apr 2009, 19:11

Thanks! I'll try it.
halo204
ydl newbie
ydl newbie