64 bit vs. 32 bit & XFCE vs. E17

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

64 bit vs. 32 bit & XFCE vs. E17

Postby CoreyB. » 01 Jul 2009, 04:15

I saw on Softpedia that the 64 bit version has a newer kernel than the 32 bit version. Which one is the recommended one to install on the PS3? Is 64 bit less/more/same stable as 32 bit? Will there be more than one iso?

Also, in the press release for 6.2, it said that XFCE is perfect for the PS3 since it only has 256 MB of RAM, but on the YDL home page under E17, it says that E17 is good for the PS3. Which is really the best?
CoreyB.
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: 64 bit vs. 32 bit & XFCE vs. E17

Postby ppietro » 01 Jul 2009, 08:14

CoreyB. wrote:I saw on Softpedia that the 64 bit version has a newer kernel than the 32 bit version. Which one is the recommended one to install on the PS3? Is 64 bit less/more/same stable as 32 bit? Will there be more than one iso?

So - 64 bit version of what? YDL? If you're installing YDL on the PS3, there's only one version: it's 64 bit for the Cell. The 32 bit version of YDL is for older Macs with 32 bit PowerPC processors only. Both versions are on the same disc - you choose them by hardware platform when you install. When you select the PS3 installer, you'll automatically get the 64 bit build.

BTW - If you quote from Softpedia, it really helps if you provide a link so that we know what you're talking about. :D

Also, in the press release for 6.2, it said that XFCE is perfect for the PS3 since it only has 256 MB of RAM, but on the YDL home page under E17, it says that E17 is good for the PS3. Which is really the best?

Best for what? E17 is very easy to use, but it might seem a little slow. Xfce is probably speedier, but you might find it a little harder to get used to if you're a Windows user. Heck - load 'em both. The beauty of Linux is that you can have both installed at the same time, and just choose which one you want to use when you log in.

Personally, I use E17. No reason really. Mainly because I'm used to it, plus it helps me give correct advice to beginners. :lol:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CoreyB. » 01 Jul 2009, 14:59

Here is the Softpedia article I mentioned http://news.softpedia.com/news/Fixstars-Announces-Yellow-Dog-Linux-6-2-for-PlayStation-3-115429.shtml.

From the YDL 6.2 press release, it says "With YDL v6.2, Fixstars has added a fourth alternative for the desktop environment: Xfce 4. A fast and lightweight desktop environment, Xfce runs applications quickly while reserving system resources, making it ideal for memory limited systems such as the PS3." (http://us.fixstars.com/news/2009/2009-06-29.shtml)

But on the E17 page on Fixstars website, it says "Enlightenment E17 is less resource hungry and faster than KDE and Gnome. A great deal of effort is spent reducing the CPU resource consumption. This is perfectly matched to the PS3 which has just 256MB RAM." (http://us.fixstars.com/products/ydl/e17.shtml)

So my question is, is XFCE or E17 better/more efficient/faster?
CoreyB.
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 01 Jul 2009, 19:18

Thanks - that's very helpful. :D

CoreyB. wrote:So my question is, is XFCE or E17 better/more efficient/faster?

And I answered that:

ppietro wrote:E17 is very easy to use, but it might seem a little slow. Xfce is probably speedier, but you might find it a little harder to get used to if you're a Windows user. Heck - load 'em both. The beauty of Linux is that you can have both installed at the same time, and just choose which one you want to use when you log in.

Asking which one is "better" can't be succinctly answered - that's completely subjective. Even though E17 draws to the screen a little slower, you might find that you can accomplish your tasks faster than in Xfce which draws to the screen more quickly. So - which one's more efficient?

There's no clear winner here - any of them are going to be a little slow on the PS3 since it only has a framebuffer display and limited system RAM. You'll have to trade off features against speed - that's why we have a choice. :)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 07 Jul 2009, 12:56

Hello
like Paul said try them both, of the two I prefer xfce and mainly because of the right click menu and cpu graph, fluxbox is now the only one I use now though.
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby alastor » 16 Jul 2009, 17:35

ppietro wrote:So - 64 bit version of what? YDL? If you're installing YDL on the PS3, there's only one version: it's 64 bit for the Cell. The 32 bit version of YDL is for older Macs with 32 bit PowerPC processors only. Both versions are on the same disc - you choose them by hardware platform when you install. When you select the PS3 installer, you'll automatically get the 64 bit build.

And what will happen if i run a 32-bit kernel ?
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Postby ppietro » 16 Jul 2009, 19:18

alastor wrote:
ppietro wrote:So - 64 bit version of what? YDL? If you're installing YDL on the PS3, there's only one version: it's 64 bit for the Cell. The 32 bit version of YDL is for older Macs with 32 bit PowerPC processors only. Both versions are on the same disc - you choose them by hardware platform when you install. When you select the PS3 installer, you'll automatically get the 64 bit build.

And what will happen if i run a 32-bit kernel ?

We've had reports of folks trying to install the 32 bit version of YDL on their PS3s, but they never got it to work. It doesn't load - you can't get past the install pick.

On the other hand, if you had a 64 bit version of YDL installed on the PS3, and replaced the kernel with a 32 bit version, you'd probably have an unstable system, since there are libraries in the /lib64 directory, and those wouldn't load anymore.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby alastor » 16 Jul 2009, 20:32

ppietro wrote:On the other hand, if you had a 64 bit version of YDL installed on the PS3, and replaced the kernel with a 32 bit version, you'd probably have an unstable system, since there are libraries in the /lib64 directory, and those wouldn't load anymore.

Thanks, paul, i just asked this to understand is emulating of OSX is possible on ps3 or not. Becouse it makes more sense to run it then qemu ( no need to emulate ppc again, so there is a lot more perfomance ).
I am talking about MOL. But it needs ppc32 kernel. ( Runing OSX is so close ... I want mol on ppc64 )
alastor
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to General