Streammygames Not Working (installing Problems)

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Streammygames Not Working (installing Problems)

Postby wudafux » 12 Jul 2009, 04:39

[root@localhost ~]# cd /root/Desktop/GuildWars
[root@localhost GuildWars]# sudo sh ./smg-installer.sh
sh: ./smg-installer.sh: No such file or directory
(GuildWars is the folder name)

Thats what it says to do on the ubuntu video but it doesnt seem to work for YDL.

This is the version i installed: smg-linux-player-1.0.1.96.install.sh
I saw the Ubuntu video on how to install it but im not shure if i got the right version or if there are different commands you have to put in the terminal. (using YDL 6.1)

heres the video i saw and followed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeaNiQTiciI

Hope u can help =)
Ps Thanx in advance
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: Streammygames Not Working (installing Problems)

Postby ppietro » 12 Jul 2009, 07:37

Be very careful about following Ubuntu instructions. YDL is a Red Hat derived Linux - not Debian like Ubuntu. Many commands are different between Red Hat and Debian Linuxes.

Like sudo for example. By default, sudo is not enabled (or possibly installed) on Red Hat Linuxes.

I also noticed that you're normally logged in as root. This isn't a good idea - you should create a normal user account and switch to root with the su command only when doing system administration functions. That's what the user in your video is doing.

Also - are you using Gnome or E17? I think you need to be running Gnome.

Finally - did you download the script into your Guildwars directory, or directly to your desktop? If it's on the desktop, you don't need to cd into your Guildwars directory.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wudafux » 12 Jul 2009, 17:51

ppietro wrote:I also noticed that you're normally logged in as root. This isn't a good idea - you should create a normal user account and switch to root with the su command only when doing system administration functions. That's what the user in your video is doing.

Im still a nub =/ dont even know how or were or if i can even still make an account lol >.<
And if i can is there a fee or anything i have to pay or that??

ppietro wrote:Also - are you using Gnome or E17? I think you need to be running Gnome.

umm i dont know wat any of those 2 are lol, can u explain me so i can answer.
really sorry for all the questions geez. lol u can really tell i don't know what im doing...

ppietro wrote:Finally - did you download the script into your Guildwars directory, or directly to your desktop? If it's on the desktop, you don't need to cd into your Guildwars directory.

ummmm i just clicked on the download and clicked Save File, after that i couldnt find it untill i looked in the desktop. After that i made the folder named "GuildWars" and put it inside. I dont know if it was installed ON the desktop. I didnt extract it or anything like that. i just left it like a casset looking thingy and put it in the folder.

Sorry for all the trouble lol but ur really helpful i always get my problems solved here =)
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 12 Jul 2009, 18:06

wudafux wrote:
ppietro wrote:I also noticed that you're normally logged in as root. This isn't a good idea - you should create a normal user account and switch to root with the su command only when doing system administration functions. That's what the user in your video is doing.

Im still a nub =/ dont even know how or were or if i can even still make an account lol >.<
And if i can is there a fee or anything i have to pay or that??

The normal user account is on your PS3 - there's no charge for that. Use the Users and Groups tool from the Application --> System Tools menu.

wudafux wrote:
ppietro wrote:Also - are you using Gnome or E17? I think you need to be running Gnome.

umm i dont know wat any of those 2 are lol, can u explain me so i can answer.
really sorry for all the questions geez. lol u can really tell i don't know what im doing...

When you log into YDL, you can choose the default desktop environment from the Session menu. Normally, YDL uses Enlightenment - which we call E17, since that's the build number. You can also use Gnome - which some programs prefer.

wudafux wrote:
ppietro wrote:Finally - did you download the script into your Guildwars directory, or directly to your desktop? If it's on the desktop, you don't need to cd into your Guildwars directory.

ummmm i just clicked on the download and clicked Save File, after that i couldnt find it untill i looked in the desktop. After that i made the folder named "GuildWars" and put it inside. I dont know if it was installed ON the desktop. I didnt extract it or anything like that. i just left it like a casset looking thingy and put it in the folder.

Sorry for all the trouble lol but ur really helpful i always get my problems solved here =)

Well - the reason I ask is that, based on your error message, it looks like it couldn't find the file. I'd try re-downloading it to your desktop, and not moving it.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wudafux » 12 Jul 2009, 21:36

ppietro wrote:The normal user account is on your PS3 - there's no charge for that. Use the Users and Groups tool from the Application --> System Tools menu.

ok cool i think i created another acount =) everything was brand new as it came when i first downloaded it =) im not logged in as root atm is that good? was that wat i was supposed to do?
ppietro wrote:
When you log into YDL, you can choose the default desktop environment from the Session menu. Normally, YDL uses Enlightenment - which we call E17, since that's the build number. You can also use Gnome - which some programs prefer.

i think im using the E17 but not possitive. If im not then can u tell me how to get in gnome?
ppietro wrote:Well - the reason I ask is that, based on your error message, it looks like it couldn't find the file. I'd try re-downloading it to your desktop, and not moving it.

I will try it although im not shure if im installing the right version because they changed the website a little bit from when they made the video, i re downloaded it again none the less and didnt put it in a folder or anything this time.

Now since u said that the comands for ubuntu and ydl are different, could u tell me the commands im supposed put? Thanx =)
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby bonedome » 12 Jul 2009, 22:33

Hello
i think im using the E17 but not possitive. If im not then can u tell me how to get in gnome?
at the blue login screen where you put your username and password click on sessions and choose gnome, it will then ask if you want to make it default,
im not logged in as root atm is that good?
sure is
I just had a quick look at that youtube vid and yes he/she's using gnome, with the exception of using sudo the instructions look pretty comprehensive, as Paul said in place of sudo type su - and your root password.
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby wudafux » 12 Jul 2009, 23:29

When yo
bonedome wrote:When you log into YDL, you can choose the default desktop environment from the Session menu. Normally, YDL uses Enlightenment - which we call E17, since that's the build number. You can also use Gnome - which some programs prefer.

so far so good on everything exept this. When i start up YDL from the XMB i never get to choose anything. Im not using my HD TV anymore so im stuck with the SDTV version of YDL i dont know if it matters tho. when it starts up all it says is type your username and password. After that i press Xautoconfig and startx. It doesnt give me any Gnome option or anything, Im stuck here.
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby wudafux » 13 Jul 2009, 00:16

never mind i got Gnome running.

Another problem tho, i followed video and this is wat happened:

[n0valine@localhost ~]$ cd /home/n0valine/Desktop/

At this point all seems to be going well.

[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$ su -sh./smg-installer.sh
Password:
su: h./smg-installer.sh: No such file or directory
[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$

but when i get to here it says no such file or directory... im not shure wats going on =( been trying for like 5 hours now rofl i used su instead of sudo but it doesnt seem to find it... plz need help lol (we moving slowly but we getting there lol)
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 00:54

wudafux wrote:never mind i got Gnome running.

Another problem tho, i followed video and this is wat happened:

At this point all seems to be going well.

[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$ su -sh./smg-installer.sh
Password:
su: h./smg-installer.sh: No such file or directory

but when i get to here it says no such file or directory... im not shure wats going on =( been trying for like 5 hours now rofl i used su instead of sudo but it doesnt seem to find it... plz need help lol (we moving slowly but we getting there lol)

su is not a replacement for sudo. You don't use it with the same syntax - but you do have to use it. sudo executes one command with root permissions, su switches the current terminal window to root user. See? Both make you root, but you use sudo in-line with your commands, and you use su by itself.

So - instead of sudo sh ./smg-installer.sh
(note the spaces!! You had no space between sh and ./smg-installer.sh last time!)

you would do this for YDL:

su
(enter your root password)
sh ./smg-installer.sh

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 00:58

wudafux wrote:When yo
bonedome wrote:When you log into YDL, you can choose the default desktop environment from the Session menu. Normally, YDL uses Enlightenment - which we call E17, since that's the build number. You can also use Gnome - which some programs prefer.

so far so good on everything exept this. When i start up YDL from the XMB i never get to choose anything. Im not using my HD TV anymore so im stuck with the SDTV version of YDL i dont know if it matters tho. when it starts up all it says is type your username and password. After that i press Xautoconfig and startx. It doesnt give me any Gnome option or anything, Im stuck here.

You can fix this here:
http://us.fixstars.com/support/solution ... to-5.shtml

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wudafux » 13 Jul 2009, 01:15

OK i got the Gnome fixed wich is good.

but

It still wont install =/

ppietro wrote:su is not a replacement for sudo. You don't use it with the same syntax - but you do have to use it. sudo executes one command with root permissions, su switches the current terminal window to root user. See? Both make you root, but you use sudo in-line with your commands, and you use su by itself.

So - instead of sudo sh ./smg-installer.sh
(note the spaces!! You had no space between sh and ./smg-installer.sh last time!)

you would do this for YDL:

su
(enter your root password)
sh ./smg-installer.sh

Cheers,
Paul

i did all that u said and even put a space between sh and ./smg-installer.sh
umm this is wat showed up:

[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Desktop]# sh ./smg-installer.sh
[root@localhost Desktop]#

It always says no such file or directory dont know y tho.
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 05:58

wudafux wrote:i did all that u said and even put a space between sh and ./smg-installer.sh
umm this is wat showed up:

[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost Desktop]# sh ./smg-installer.sh
[root@localhost Desktop]#

It always says no such file or directory dont know y tho.

That all looks correct to me. It must be that smg-installer.sh is either not on your desktop - or it's called something else.

Try this from a terminal window and post your results here:

cd /home/n0valine/Desktop/
ls -al

That prints out the contents of the Desktop folder - i.e. your desktop. You should see a file called smg-installer.sh listed. If you don't, then typing sh ./smg-installer.sh won't do anything since that file isn't there. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wudafux » 13 Jul 2009, 15:57

This is what i got:

[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$ ls -al
total 13824
drwxr-xr-x 2 n0valine n0valine 4096 Jul 12 19:19 .
drwx------ 21 n0valine n0valine 4096 Jul 13 11:01 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 n0valine n0valine 2850570 Jul 12 18:45 smg-linux-player_1.0.1.96-1-firefox3_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r-- 1 n0valine n0valine 5512996 Jul 12 16:46 smg-linux-player-1.0.1.96.install.sh
-rw-rw-r-- 1 n0valine n0valine 2878495 Jul 12 19:19 streamer_software_23072008_140029_1_0_1_96(2).exe
-rw-rw-r-- 1 n0valine n0valine 2878495 Jul 12 18:38 streamer_software_23072008_140029_1_0_1_96.exe
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 13 Jul 2009, 17:15

wudafux wrote:This is what i got:

Code: Select all
[n0valine@localhost Desktop]$ ls -al
total 13824
drwxr-xr-x  2 n0valine n0valine    4096 Jul 12 19:19 .
drwx------ 21 n0valine n0valine    4096 Jul 13 11:01 ..
-rw-rw-r--  1 n0valine n0valine 2850570 Jul 12 18:45 smg-linux-player_1.0.1.96-1-firefox3_i386.deb
-rw-rw-r--  1 n0valine n0valine 5512996 Jul 12 16:46 smg-linux-player-1.0.1.96.install.sh
-rw-rw-r--  1 n0valine n0valine 2878495 Jul 12 19:19 streamer_software_23072008_140029_1_0_1_96(2).exe
-rw-rw-r--  1 n0valine n0valine 2878495 Jul 12 18:38 streamer_software_23072008_140029_1_0_1_96.exe

So - you can tell by your directory listing that your install script is called smg-linux-player-1.0.1.96.install.sh

I'll leave the subsitution of this in the above commands as an exercise for the reader.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wudafux » 13 Jul 2009, 17:43

Aawsome man thanx i think i got it wow u guys are great =)

Theres nothing u guys cant help me on =) thanx times a billion =)
wudafux
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Next

Return to General