kde

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

kde

Postby sillyshy » 28 Jul 2009, 21:39

Is it possible to install kde?
sillyshy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: kde

Postby ppietro » 28 Jul 2009, 23:17

sillyshy wrote:Is it possible to install kde?

Yes.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Let me know if you want to know how to do it. :D
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sillyshy » 28 Jul 2009, 23:33

Yes please tell me. I am using the ps3 720! version
sillyshy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Jul 2009, 00:00

sillyshy wrote:Yes please tell me. I am using the ps3 720! version

Doesn't matter which version of YDL - KDE installs the same for all of them.

1. Start Add/Remove Software
  2. In the resultant Package Manager window, select the Browse tab.
  3. In the left column of the Browse tab, select "Desktop Environments"
  4. In the resultant list of desktop environments in the right column, select the "KDE" checkbox
  5. Click Apply

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sillyshy » 29 Jul 2009, 00:17

I do not get a browse list of choices???

When I first installed I did chose to install KDE but when I start I get could not star kdeinit??? Check your installion?
sillyshy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Jul 2009, 02:39

sillyshy wrote:I do not get a browse list of choices???

Huh? That's weird. This sort of sounds like a flawed download. Did you verify your install media (ISO) with SHA1SUM?

You have networking running in YDL, right? You might try a yum clean all as root user from the command line, then start Add/Remove Software again.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sillyshy » 29 Jul 2009, 02:43

How do you type into consal and how do you get into consale?
sillyshy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 29 Jul 2009, 03:06

sillyshy wrote:How do you type into consal and how do you get into consale?

I didn't mention anything about console. What are you trying to do?

If you want to open a command line to try the yum clean all command, look for an application called "Terminal" in your menus.

To switch to root user in the terminal, use the su command. It will prompt you for your root password, but not echo it back to the screen.

It sounds like you're a relative newcomer to Linux. You may want to go on-line and read some of the beginner's guides to Linux before proceeding much further. YDL is based on a popular Linux distribution called "Red Hat Linux". You will find Red Hat Linux guides more helpful than guides for other Linux distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo or SuSE, which are considerably different - especially for beginners.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sillyshy » 29 Jul 2009, 11:52

Download it again burnt using another ISO burner installed and it works KDE :) must been bad download

ppietro wrote:
sillyshy wrote:How do you type into consal and how do you get into consale?

I didn't mention anything about console. What are you trying to do?

If you want to open a command line to try the yum clean all command, look for an application called "Terminal" in your menus.

To switch to root user in the terminal, use the su command. It will prompt you for your root password, but not echo it back to the screen.

It sounds like you're a relative newcomer to Linux. You may want to go on-line and read some of the beginner's guides to Linux before proceeding much further. YDL is based on a popular Linux distribution called "Red Hat Linux". You will find Red Hat Linux guides more helpful than guides for other Linux distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo or SuSE, which are considerably different - especially for beginners.

Cheers,
Paul
sillyshy
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby Linux Abuser » 30 Jul 2009, 23:55

im having a problem when i go to download the kde updates etc it starts dowloading then it goes to something about a bug...then 2nd time i tried it a white screen with a debugging the covered my whole tv and couldnt get back to shelf and other stuff so i waited until the hdd light went off for sure so i rebooted by pressin the power button and now im not home so any ideas how to do it on my 3rd try
Linux Abuser
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 31 Jul 2009, 01:05

Linux Abuser wrote:im having a problem when i go to download the kde updates etc it starts dowloading then it goes to something about a bug...then 2nd time i tried it a white screen with a debugging the covered my whole tv and couldnt get back to shelf and other stuff so i waited until the hdd light went off for sure so i rebooted by pressin the power button and now im not home so any ideas how to do it on my 3rd try

If you're using 6.2, none of the YDL repos appear to have any data yet.

This means that, for the next couple of days, neither Update Software, nor Add/Remove Software will work as shipped. :(

I would suggest using your 6.2 Install DVD as a temporary repository until this is worked out:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3463#p21098
for the general procedure - I did this for 6.0. Here is a followup for 6.2 that appears to work - I haven't tested this yet myself:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3463&p=32294#p32294

And - just some friendly advice - when you say "it goes to something about a bug" - that means absolutely nothing to any of us. You always need to print out the entire bug - this is Linux, not Windows - we can't guess what your errors are. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Linux Abuser » 31 Jul 2009, 01:42

ok i see but for some reason all my windows are big.... they never fit onscreen and when i want to apply the add/remove software i have to mess with the window size as in the maximize horizontaly etc, so its hard to mess with any of the settings
Linux Abuser
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 31 Jul 2009, 02:31

Linux Abuser wrote:ok i see but for some reason all my windows are big.... they never fit onscreen and when i want to apply the add/remove software i have to mess with the window size as in the maximize horizontaly etc, so its hard to mess with any of the settings

That's because you have a Standard Definition TV right? (i.e. 480i).

That's why most of us have upgraded to HDTVs or compatible computer monitors. Sorry - there's no other easy fix for this.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Linux Abuser » 31 Jul 2009, 03:24

grrr i'll guess i'll buy a monitor
Linux Abuser
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General