mencoder guide website

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

mencoder guide website

Postby bonedome » 31 Jul 2009, 23:31

Hello
ffmpeg is a superb video/audio converter another is mencoder which is part of mplayer unfortunately there aren't that many command line tutorials out there but this site is a one stop shop for mencoder usage
http://quadpoint.org/projects/simplerip ... o_bitrates
One superb thing on the site is a bitrate/file size caculator
you'll need mplayer and ffmpeg (for it's av libs)
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: mencoder guide website

Postby Digitalgenicide » 01 Aug 2009, 05:43

cool thanks for the link. i haven't tried mencoder yet but i would like to give it a look i found a nautilus script at gnome-look.org that works great for converting video. i have tried damn near every ffmpeg g.u.i. and this is the only one i could ever get to work on the PS3.
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby bonedome » 01 Aug 2009, 12:57

Hello
another great thing I found with mencoder you can convert only the part of vid you want using these
Code: Select all
-ss 45:16 -endpos 59:45
as you can see I only wanted the last 15 minutes of a 1 hour tv show and it was bang on, so you can edit out ads etc while converting, I'm beginning to really like mencoder :D
i found a nautilus script at gnome-look.org that works great for converting video
Is it a secret script :lol:
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Digitalgenicide » 02 Aug 2009, 04:00

yeah sry i shoulda put a link in the first post.its at http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=92533. its pretty useful for converting music files too. i guess theres a way to convert text files into mp3s with AVconvert. i havent tried it yet, not sure how usefull that would be but i sounds kinda neat though.
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby bonedome » 02 Aug 2009, 11:30

Hey that looks cool I'll give it a go and maybe get rid of avidemux which never seems to be able to convert to h264 for some reason (where ffmpeg can :? )
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby Digitalgenicide » 03 Aug 2009, 00:23

i just tried to convert a video to H264 and it didn't work. is the file extension on a H264 file just .H264 or is it something different? cuz that was what i was trying
Digitalgenicide
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 06:27

Digitalgenicide wrote:i just tried to convert a video to H264 and it didn't work. is the file extension on a H264 file just .H264 or is it something different? cuz that was what i was trying

Extension for H.264 is generally .mp4. (Sometimes .mkv) There is no .h264 extension.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 03 Aug 2009, 22:27

Hello
yes I noticed all my vids converted to h264 have extension .mp4 by default, if you play the vid with mplayer from the command line I get this
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
and if you play the same vid on the game os player it comes up as avc.
with ffmpeg you have to force it with -vcodec h264 but when I try to force it with mencoder, no can do.
if I type
 mencoder -ovc help
there's
 x264     - H.264 encoding
so why it no work I dunno.
I'm going to give that gnome thing a try see what it's like :D
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 03 Aug 2009, 23:50

bonedome wrote:Hello
yes I noticed all my vids converted to h264 have extension .mp4 by default, if you play the vid with mplayer from the command line I get this
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
and if you play the same vid on the game os player it comes up as avc.
with ffmpeg you have to force it with -vcodec h264 but when I try to force it with mencoder, no can do.
if I type
 mencoder -ovc help
there's
 x264     - H.264 encoding
so why it no work I dunno.
I'm going to give that gnome thing a try see what it's like :D

So - what we call h.264 video has several different names.

Officially - it is:
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC. It is also known as MPEG-4 Part 10.

This is confusing because there's *another* MPEG-4 in use that's simpler. It's officially MPEG-4 part 2, but it's usually just called MPEG-4. This simpler codec is used by DivX, Xvid, 3vix, etc.

So - basically - there are two mpeg-4s. To avoid confusion, we call mpeg-4 part 2 "MPEG-4" and mpeg-4 part 10 "h.264" or "AVC".

The full chart is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4#MPEG-4_parts

Now - x264 is a project to reverse engineer the h.264 libraries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

Many free programs refer to h.264 as x264, since that's the library they're using.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. To confuse things further, the wrapper for MPEG-4 & H.264 is usually the .mp4 file. .mp4 stands for mpeg-4, of course. mpeg-4 therefore stands for the file structure and the video codec inside. You can have other wrappers - DivX, Xvid & 3vix traditionally use AVI, and h.264 can be found inside QuickTime .mov & Matroska .mkv.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 20 Mar 2010, 15:50

hey sorry to be a bother... but i dont see a download link for Audio/Video/Image/Text/ISO Convert on the website yu posted... is there something else im supposed to do... if so can someone make a guide on what to do... im stupid and dont know... sorry.... thanks in advance.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby ppietro » 20 Mar 2010, 19:47

otakusupreme wrote:hey sorry to be a bother... but i dont see a download link for Audio/Video/Image/Text/ISO Convert on the website yu posted... is there something else im supposed to do... if so can someone make a guide on what to do... im stupid and dont know... sorry.... thanks in advance.

On this link posted above:
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=92533

I found a download link at the bottom of the page, next to the text "(Download avconvert here)"

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 21 Mar 2010, 03:49

when i downlopaded it and extracted it i got to a part where it say select source files, all of the same type. when i double click the video i want to convert it disappears (the program). does anyone else have issues like this and can they help. the file is an .flv and runs fine in vlc. thanks in advance.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Postby bonedome » 23 Mar 2010, 14:52

Hello
when i downlopaded it and extracted it i got to a part where it say select source files, all of the same type. when i double click the video i want to convert it disappears (the program). does anyone else have issues like this and can they help. the file is an .flv and runs fine in vlc. thanks in advance.
could you provide more info i.e what program and what are you trying to do ?
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 23 Mar 2010, 17:20

bonedome wrote:Hello
could you provide more info i.e what program and what are you trying to do ?

Otakusupreme is trying to run the script mentioned a couple of posts up:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. ... tent=92533

Sounds like the script is failing during source file selection. Possible configuration error? I don't use this script, so that's about as much as I can help.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby otakusupreme » 24 Mar 2010, 11:19

ya i downéloaded the avconert script from the website and everytime i run it, it asks for source files and when i chose a viseo to convert it the program then disappears and nothing happens.
otakusupreme
ydl addict
ydl addict

Return to General