problem with scripting gnash on ydl6.2

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

problem with scripting gnash on ydl6.2

Postby ravenous420 » 04 Aug 2009, 02:43

hi there i'm brand new to linux, i have ydl 6.2 on my ps3 system currently running okay, i managed to get transmission torrent client, vlc media player,and even install some fedora repos so far... so i'm doing okay i guess but i've only been using linux for about 12 hours or less.. anyways i'm currently searching for a solution to the problems with YDL6.2 and FLASH. accordingly as i've read that the gnash version on ydl pre-installed package isn't the right version by error of the people who make ydl, and in add/remove progs it shows i already have gnash, but when i goto youtube it doesn't work.
now accordingly theres only two solutions, either wait for linux to have a update i guess, or manually upgrade gnash 0.8.4 to 0.8.5 if i'm not mistaken. so here i am.
i went to viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5641&p=30535#p30402 and read clouds tutorial on how to do so and so far i went into terminal, and downloaded the 3 devel things from whatever yum is (in terminal?) and it installed correctly, i believe, however afterwards cloud says i need to type ./configure --enable-gui=gtk.......... and so on,
when i do so, i see nothing but no such file directory.
now, on the screen i see above that the 3 devel things downloaded, and installed giflib, and nas devel, and that it installed a dependency nas.ppc, below that, it says "Complete" then it shows my attempt to to that next step that ./configure...
please help, i'm so close to having all i need on this thing
80GB PS3 YDL6.2 on a 13" SD 480i - Worlds Smallest Television lol
ravenous420
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: problem with scripting gnash on ydl6.2

Postby ppietro » 04 Aug 2009, 09:48

Cronocloud's post isn't so much a tutorial as notes on how to do it. Cronocloud is assuming you've already downloaded the gnash 0.8.5 source code archive and extracted it to a folder.

The YUM install step is to put additional tools on your system to compile Gnash 0.8.5 - it doesn't load Gnash itself.

Then, you would open up the terminal window, navigate to the extracted files, and type the ./configure command from there.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. YDL 6.2 came with the same Gnash as YDL 6.1 - Gnash 0.8.1. That's the bug we found. YDL will be releasing Gnash 0.8.4 as an update soon. That should be able to handle YouTube. If you can't get Gnash 0.8.5 to build, you could just wait for 0.8.4 from YDL.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 04 Aug 2009, 23:35

Hello
when i do so, i see nothing but no such file directory.
I take it you're typing something like
Code: Select all
cd ~/gnash-0.8.5
hang on a minute I've just reread your post, I think you'll need to go to the gnash website and download the source.tar file then extract it then cd into it, that's when you use ./configure, make and make install, one word of warning make takes bloody ages, at least 40 odd minutes :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby CronoCloud » 05 Aug 2009, 00:35

bonedome wrote:Hello
I think you'll need to go to the gnash website and download the source.tar file then extract it then cd into it, that's when you use ./configure, make and make install, one word of warning make takes bloody ages, at least 40 odd minutes :D

Yep, my little tutorials are mostly quick notes, I assume folks already have or know how to get the sources involved and know the minimal basics on terminal usage. Trust me, compiling isn't that difficult, if I could learn it anyone can. I'll try to be a little more verbose from now on.

40 minutes isn't a long compile at all .....ha ha ha ha ha ha......ha ha ha ha ha ha. Why am I laughing? Because I've seen 36 hour compiles. If it's less than an hour, I think that's pretty fast.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby bonedome » 05 Aug 2009, 15:38

Hello
yes you mentioned that before I think in ye olde ps2 days :lol: , I think vlc and gnash are the two longest compiles I've made and am always pleasantly surprised when something can be downloaded, compiled and installed in 5 minutes and that includes reading the install and configure help pages :D
I reckon "make" should be renamed "make coffee/dinner" :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to General