External Hardrive Issues. I JUST DONT GET IT =*(

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

External Hardrive Issues. I JUST DONT GET IT =*(

Postby slybrew » 13 Sep 2009, 08:19

Maybe this should be on the Beginners forum i don't know.

I am running YDL 6.1 on my PS3
I used to be able to write on my external Hard drive but not anymore
I am under the root user
The Hard drive is mounted and its fat32 format
When i go to the properties i see
owner: root
Folder Access: Create and delete files
File Access: --- ( <---- i always try to change that to read and write but it goes back to --- )

I can not create folders on my external hardrive
i can view file on my external hardrive
sometime i see little lock symbols on the top right corner of my folders
when i type "mount" and i check the part relevant to the hd, this is what i get:

/dev/sda1 on /media/UNTITLED 1 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,shortname=winnt,uid=o)

It says that i have permission, yet i cant write. what do i do and please be detailed because i suck at linux so step by step would be nice :) thank you!
slybrew
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: External Hardrive Issues. I JUST DONT GET IT =*(

Postby aguilarojo » 16 Sep 2009, 20:57

We all need to begin somewhere. Perhaps the discussion here may provide a start:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5630&p=31272#p31272

A simple method to use is to switch between the different desktop environments you use within YDL. Gnome, e17, xfce and others see and mount external drives rather differently. You will still need to understand what parted sees, and figure out what it means if it can't see anything. You can learn more by doing:

Code: Select all
$man parted
$man mount

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby aguilarojo » 19 May 2010, 09:33

slybrew wrote:Maybe this should be on the Beginners forum i don't know.

I am running YDL 6.1 on my PS3
I used to be able to write on my external Hard drive but not anymore
I am under the root user
The Hard drive is mounted and its fat32 format
When i go to the properties i see
owner: root
Folder Access: Create and delete files
File Access: --- ( <---- i always try to change that to read and write but it goes back to --- )

Hi Slybrew:

Although you are providing a description what is more useful, in my opinion is showing exactly what a tool like parted reports about your hardware. If your external drive is mounted properly parted will report exactly what is seen and how that drive is formatted. Instead of describing in your own words what parted sees, just post onto the YDL Board what parted reports. It will then be easier to decipher exactly what your Linux system sees as available as well as what your difficulty is. Remember that what your software sees may be different from what you describe.

Getting around this human problem of description isn't easy. Our human intuition is to believe that our tools will report what we expect; this is not always the case. What a person understands may be different from what intelligent hardware or software understands (even when it is installed properly). The most direct means of clarity is to report to the YDL Board exactly what output of tools like parted reveal.

Your external hard drive should be connected via a USB cable; this means that parted will see it -- if you do the following command sequence from within the user mode (symbolized as $) do the following:

$ su -
Password:

That command sequence allows you access to whatever command and tool you need to execute without having to be located in the exact directory where that command resides. In this situation the above allows me to access the parted command without having to first be in the directory where it resides. Note that immediately after you hit the return key YDL will ask for your password. The password being asked for here is the user, not root password. The difference of these two passwords were determined when YDL was first installed meaning that one password was created to be unique to root; another distinct password was created to be used while in user mode (using a spreadsheet, listening to music or engaging in IM).

Regardless whether one directly uses root mode or sudo, invoke parted and tell it to find the USB drive this way:

# parted /dev/sda
GNU Parted 1.8.1
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print                                                           

Model: SanDisk U3 Cruzer Micro (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2046MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
1      32.3kB  2046MB  2046MB  primary  fat32        boot

(parted) quit                                                             
Information: Don't forget to update /etc/fstab, if necessary.             

#exit
$

Although in this example I'm using a small USB stick; this doesn't matter as far as parted is concerned because any drive appearing along the /dev/sda directory tree is where any USB drive will appear. The exit command returns you into user mode; if you used sudo, you would be returned to user mode immediately after a short period of time having completed executing root commands.

Why is it important to understand what exactly parted sees? If we can get to see exactly what parted sees regarding the hardware then we can observe whether the hardware was formatted properly. If it was formatted properly then YDL 6.1/YDL 6.2 should mount the drive onto the desktop immediately regardless whether one is using root or user mode.

The problem you are reporting leads to different strategies which are too involved to explain with out understanding what parted reveals. It is easier to wait to discover what parted on your system reports regarding the connected hardware.

Good luck...
Last edited by aguilarojo on 06 Jul 2010, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 20 May 2010, 03:46

I'm just curious, aguilarojo - why did you respond to a thread you'd already answered in 2009?

Was there another update to this that got deleted or something?

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General