Webstreaming on Firefox - windows media player plugin

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Webstreaming on Firefox - windows media player plugin

Postby holabola » 18 Sep 2009, 14:45

Hello All,

This is my first post. I am kind of newbie to Linux and especially to YDL. I installed YDL 6.2 on my Sony PS3 80 Gig model (not the ps3 slim). Installation is successful and everything is running smooth such as wireless internet connection. I have added few repositories for myself and some repos have the wrong address and the link broken. I am trying to fix them by searching the internet. Now, here is my problem.

I watch live streaming such as sports, programs from specific sites that require windows media player plugin and with windows media player 11 version isntalled on the machine. In YDL, I was able to to install VLC media player and VLC media player plugin using yum. Also, I was able to install mplayer and mplayer plugin in using yum. Now, when I start the mozilla browser and open my live streaming site, it says 'no video'. I have checked the plugins and the mplayer plugin is installed. To my dismay, I see that the plugin I installed is for windows media player 6.4 version and the website requires version 11 of window media player. The online litereature for mplayer is confusing for newbie. Can someone please help and assist me which mplayer version i need to install and the codecs for that. Please mention which repo and the commands. I really really appreciate it if you can help or guide me.

Thank you all,
holabola
holabola
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Webstreaming on Firefox - windows media player plugin

Postby ppietro » 18 Sep 2009, 17:34

holabola wrote:I have added few repositories for myself and some repos have the wrong address and the link broken. I am trying to fix them by searching the internet.

Be very careful with this - you can easily break your system if you don't add the correct repositories.

We only recommend these for beginners:
Howto: Install software (the easy way) YDL 6

Also, it is imperative that you install yum-protectbase, if you haven't already. YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, not Fedora - using modern Fedora-based repositories on an Enterprise system can cause unrecoverable damage due to the "mix and match" of various base library versions. We describe how to install yum-protectbase in the Link above.

Enterprise Linuxes run about 3 versions behind current distributions. YDL 6.2 is roughly equivalent to RHEL 5.2. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_en ... tributions

Be aware that you must use PowerPC repositories as well. These are usually indicated with the letters "ppc", "ppc32" or "ppc64". Anything marked x86, i386, i486, x86_64, etc. won't work - those are for Intel based Linuxes, not the PowerPC based Linux that runs on your PS3.

As for the rest of your question, I'll let somebody else chime in here if they have a solution. Personally, I don't think you can get WMP 11 compatibility with mplayer - but I haven't tried to go beyond the default installation, since I don't use sites that require WMP. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 18 Sep 2009, 23:37

Hello
I've found mplayer will play every type of (downloaded) file except shockwave flash (files ending in swf) as for streaming, gametrailers uses wmv and stream fine even fullscreen, the hd version I find best to download, copy to a mem stick and play with the game video player.
Could you post the url of the page you're trying to stream (as long as it can be viewed in the uk) and I'll see if I can find the best way to view it, I have built the latest mplayer and plugin so I may have a slight advantage there. :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby holabola » 20 Sep 2009, 02:03

Hi,

I am using a subscription site called 'www.telugulive.com'. Please go ot the website and if your mplauer plugin works, you can see the video on the first page. Please let me know.

Thanks,
holabola

bonedome wrote:Hello
I've found mplayer will play every type of (downloaded) file except shockwave flash (files ending in swf) as for streaming, gametrailers uses wmv and stream fine even fullscreen, the hd version I find best to download, copy to a mem stick and play with the game video player.
Could you post the url of the page you're trying to stream (as long as it can be viewed in the uk) and I'll see if I can find the best way to view it, I have built the latest mplayer and plugin so I may have a slight advantage there. :D
holabola
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby monk_9 » 03 Dec 2009, 03:54

Hi Holabola,

I have the same issue.
let me know if you ever resolved your issue?
monk_9
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General