pidgin update

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

pidgin update

Postby AmaiWana » 05 Oct 2009, 18:20

I tried to update my pidgin version to 2.6.2, i downloaded fedora core version and put repos in in /etc/yum.repos.d/,but when i did that yum install pidgin, i just got error and now i dont even get it. but is it possible to update pidgin to 2.6.2 or not?
lost in yellow dog.... it ate me.... :/
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Re: pidgin update

Postby ppietro » 05 Oct 2009, 18:30

AmaiWana wrote:I tried to update my pidgin version to 2.6.2, i downloaded fedora core version and put repos in in /etc/yum.repos.d/,but when i did that yum install pidgin, i just got error and now i dont even get it. but is it possible to update pidgin to 2.6.2 or not?

My guess is that the only way to update it to 2.6.2 is to build it directly from source code. In other words - no - you can't update it via YUM.

YDL's latest version appears to be 2.5.8. The CentOS SRPMS - which can be rebuilt for YDL - go as high as 2.5.9.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AmaiWana » 05 Oct 2009, 18:35

thanks... hmm, there is (pidgin.im) tutorial for building from source, but will it be hard if like me i havent ever done those thing? O.o
lost in yellow dog.... it ate me.... :/
AmaiWana
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby bonedome » 07 Oct 2009, 12:59

Hello
but will it be hard if like me i havent ever done those thing?
at first it might seem a little daunting but pidgin is probably a good place to start as it's fairly straight forward and quick to build, here's a good start viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4800 and viewtopic.php?t=3159#p12283
The first time you complie something yourself I'd keep add/remove software open as there's bound to be development (devel) packages missing, any error messages will usually point you in the right direction and if you're really stuck there's plenty of people on here willing to help :D
good luck
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to General