Getting stuck in Add/Remove Programs

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Getting stuck in Add/Remove Programs

Postby LordKarasuman » 23 Oct 2009, 15:57

Hi guys,

I've got Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 on my PS3 and I've already set up all the additional repositories following this topic: viewtopic.php?t=2316

However, when I try to go to Add/Remove Programs, I always get stuck on the 'Retrieving Software Information' bit. The progress bar never goes past the 'e' for Retrieving, leaving me stuck there. So I was wondering what was a better way to install plugins? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie at this and I apologize if it seems like my asking this is akin to Groundhog Day for you guys.
LordKarasuman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Getting stuck in Add/Remove Programs

Postby billb » 23 Oct 2009, 21:57

What's happening is that yum-protectbase -- the yum plugin that prevents the extra 3rd party repos from overwriting important packages included with Yellow Dog -- is taking much longer than it used to. On YDL 6.1, there were no packages in yellowdog-extras and the process took around a minute. Now there are around 2,000 and many of the same packages (different versions) are included in fedora-extras and the process, for me, takes around 15 minutes.

You might try disabling the yellowdog-extras repo. To do that, just edit the file and change enabled=1 to enabled=0. For example:

Code: Select all
su

<root password>

nano -w /etc/yum.repos.d/yellowdog-extras.repo

Again, change enabled=1 to enabled=0, then Ctrl-O to save (writeOut) and Ctrl-X to eXit.

Clean out the cache:

yum clean all

Then try Add/Remove Software or yum again...

LordKarasuman wrote:Hi guys,

I've got Yellow Dog Linux 6.2 on my PS3 and I've already set up all the additional repositories following this topic: viewtopic.php?t=2316

However, when I try to go to Add/Remove Programs, I always get stuck on the 'Retrieving Software Information' bit. The progress bar never goes past the 'e' for Retrieving, leaving me stuck there. So I was wondering what was a better way to install plugins? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie at this and I apologize if it seems like my asking this is akin to Groundhog Day for you guys.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting stuck in Add/Remove Programs

Postby LordKarasuman » 26 Oct 2009, 06:29

Thanks very much, was able to get the gstreamer plugins I needed!
LordKarasuman
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General