gnome +kde disabled- not working

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

gnome +kde disabled- not working

Postby Proskills123 » 01 Dec 2009, 21:05

hey guys i was reading a forum somewhere and it was saying if you disable kde and gnome your linux can work faster, so i disabled them 2 and now when i start the ps3 all the writing comes up with the penguins and stuff, then it goes to the loading screen, the blue screen with the loading bar then it returns to a black screen with writing where it says to enter my user and pass, i do this and nothing happens it stays there and asks for commands, what do i do??
Proskills123
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: gnome +kde disabled- not working

Postby ppietro » 02 Dec 2009, 01:26

Proskills123 wrote:hey guys i was reading a forum somewhere and it was saying if you disable kde and gnome your linux can work faster, so i disabled them 2 and now when i start the ps3 all the writing comes up with the penguins and stuff, then it goes to the loading screen, the blue screen with the loading bar then it returns to a black screen with writing where it says to enter my user and pass, i do this and nothing happens it stays there and asks for commands, what do i do??

The first thing you should do is delete any bookmarks to that "forum somewhere". That's extremely bad advice.

What you've done by disabling KDE and Gnome is most likely uninstalled key components of your GUI and X Windows. You are now in Linux text mode. Without trying this myself, I have no idea what GUI components are remaining. It definitely sounds like you uninstalled GDM, which is the program in Gnome that generates the normal login screen.

You will, most likely, have to use yum in text mode to re-install KDE and/or Gnome. If you can remember what you uninstalled, you can type

yum install name_of_the_thing_you_deleted

replacing the name_of_the_thing_you_deleted with, well, the name of the thing you deleted. This might be enough to get you started again, otherwise, you'll probably have to do a re-install of YDL to restore functionality.

If you truly disabled Gnome & KDE, just re-enable them. I'm guessing you probably uninstalled them though - maybe by using Add/Remove Software. If you did the "Add/Remove", you'll definitely have to re-install them.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bonedome » 02 Dec 2009, 01:55

Hello
if you're after making your linux run a bit faster try fluxbox, it needs a bit of tweeking but there's a couple of good tutorials on here and read viewtopic.php?p=14791#14791 for some good tips.
As you've found out, gnome has lots of important libs etc that other desktops/window managers make use of, so best to leave as is :D
60Gb ps3 otheros awol. currently playing:bad company and farcry 2 again (seeing how far I can get using permadeath principle)update: regretfully Warren Clyde was involved in a shootout south of Pala and killed when he was hit by a land rover. RIP Warren
bonedome
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby CronoCloud » 03 Dec 2009, 07:43

As bonedome said, if you want a bit of a performance boost you can switch to a different window manager, there's no need to "disable" KDE or Gnome, all you have to do is not use them.

I personally don't recommend booting straight into the text console for newbies, sure I do it, and have done it from early in my Linux days, but I had books to help me out. One thing you might try is to see if the following command does anything in your text console:

Code: Select all
startx

It probably won't, but if it does, you're in slightly better shape, otherwise, you'll need to follow paul's advice.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Postby spykez » 08 Dec 2009, 09:18

Proskills123 wrote:hey guys i was reading a forum somewhere and it was saying if you disable kde and gnome your linux can work faster, so i disabled them 2 and now when i start the ps3 all the writing comes up with the penguins and stuff, then it goes to the loading screen, the blue screen with the loading bar then it returns to a black screen with writing where it says to enter my user and pass, i do this and nothing happens it stays there and asks for commands, what do i do??

I wonder if you meant this:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-ps3-2/?S_TACT=105AGX01&S_CMP=LP

If it is and you haven't uninstalled anything, you can just change your boot-up default runlevel back to 5, to hopefully back to running the gdm or equivalent you had running initially, ie, this line in /etc/inittab:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   Note originally set to 5 to boot to enlightenment gdm type thingy
id:3:initdefault:

Just change that 3 back to 5, ie, as root (be careful!), ie with vim or nano or whatever you're most comfy with.

BTW, that IBM link is a pretty good guide actually, but as Ron was saying, you may be better off booting into a GUI first till you find your way around a little better, and I know this takes time but do persevere :)

Oh, one more tip:

If you like mucking around a lot I would recommend periodically booting up with a liveCD and backing up your HD onto an external USB device - you can do that overnight (it takes ages) ie something like

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
dd if=/dev/ps3da | bzip2 -c  > /mnt/usb/ps3backup.bz2

where I mounted my usb stick at /mnt/usb and /dev/sda1 (usually) corresponds to the first partition of the usb stick/device.
/dev/sda on the ps3 usually refers to the usb drive itself, I have a usb drive partitioned and formatted for backups.

Why boot up with a liveCD? so you can leave your filesystem unmounted and dd it to the external USB device. Although... hmm.. you could probably do that with kboot but it doesn't have bzip2 I think.. You can go to http://www.gentoo.org and under experimental get a bootable ppc minimal install CD to do this, ie from http://mirrors.kernel.org/gentoo/experi ... 64/livecd/

If you screw up your linux, boot the liveCD, remount your usb stick/HD and just recopy it back, ie something like:

bunzip2 -c /mnt/usb/ps3backup.bz2 | dd of=/dev/ps3da

Again this is likely one you'll leave overnight...

There are other ways but this is one of the more simpler ones I reckon...

Oh, and I personally like xfce when I run a wm vs E17 or Gnome. Fluxbox looks interesting but I haven't used it all that much yet to form an opinion. I am not fond of KDE actually :)

Cheers,
Rob
spykez
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Return to General