A possible solution to the YouTube issue + boo hiss

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Re: A possible solution to the YouTube issue + boo hiss

Postby ppietro » 20 Jan 2011, 18:46

pwall wrote:If it would help I could upload it to your FTP server?

Thanks for the generous offer, but at this point, I don't think it's baked enough for general use. Unless there's a big outcry, I think that folks who are interested can probably just build it themselves.

Also - the general lack of HTML5 + WEBM videos on YouTube and associated performance issues probably mean that it's not the solution most folks are looking for - yet.

Still - I'll continue to follow along and see where they go. Thanks for your settings and advice - it helps a lot when I don't have to discover all of this on my own. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 21 Jan 2011, 04:59

pwall wrote:I have 4.0b8 packaged as a bzip2 archive. It is built against python 2.5.5 but I have checked and it will work with the standard YDL python 2.4 without issue.

I'd be happy to host that on my site -- send me a PM if you need a place to upload it.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xnonsuchx » 21 Jan 2011, 07:16

ppietro wrote:The good news is that it works - but the bad news is that the playback is pretty choppy.

So that's even for the lowest resolution videos?

That's too bad if the HTML5/WebM code would need to be specifically optimized. You'd think if they're expecting it to be usable on 500-1000MHz mobile CPUs, it should be doable...unless it's ONLY expected to work on mobile devices w/ higher-end accelerated video.
xnonsuchx
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2011, 07:57

xnonsuchx wrote:
ppietro wrote:The good news is that it works - but the bad news is that the playback is pretty choppy.

That's too bad if the HTML5/WebM code would need to be specifically optimized. You'd think if they're expecting it to be usable on 500-1000MHz mobile CPUs, it should be doable...unless it's ONLY expected to work on mobile devices w/ higher-end accelerated video.

It appeared to be so - yes.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 21 Jan 2011, 12:23

ppietro wrote:
xnonsuchx wrote:

Cheers,
Paul

I've been messing with it a little. It might not be the WebM decoder per se - it might be the Firefox drawing code. It doesn't look like it takes advantage of even simple X11 drawing code - it just appears to be doing straight pixel drawing.

I could be totally wrong though.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pwall » 22 Jan 2011, 00:16

billb wrote:
pwall wrote:I have 4.0b8 packaged as a bzip2 archive. It is built against python 2.5.5 but I have checked and it will work with the standard YDL python 2.4 without issue.

I'd be happy to host that on my site -- send me a PM if you need a place to upload it.

Hi Bill

PM sent!
pwall
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby pwall » 22 Jan 2011, 00:58

ppietro wrote:
xnonsuchx wrote:

Just to provide a comparison - playback on the PowerStation is smooth but uses a good bit of horsepower in the process.

From a screenshot of the System Monitor utility I took while playing a WebM YouTube video it shows the CPU usage as follows:

CPU1: 23%
CPU2: 29.7%
CPU3: 35%
CPU4: 54%

Pat
pwall
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby ppietro » 22 Jan 2011, 02:19

pwall wrote:Just to provide a comparison - playback on the PowerStation is smooth but uses a good bit of horsepower in the process.

Wait - what? You have a PowerStation? Oooh - nice! 8)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pwall » 22 Jan 2011, 19:32

ppietro wrote:Wait - what? You have a PowerStation? Oooh - nice! 8)

Hi Paul

It's my pride and joy :D ...after the wife and kids of course :wink:

I bought it from Fixstars Solutions about 2 years ago and it's my primary desktop computer running YDL 6.2. It's pretty much a stock configuration with 2GB RAM and 73GB SAS Drive (I use a NAS for main storage.) The 4 cores are invaluable when doing the odd compile.

Here's a piccy...

YDL PowerStation.JPG
(217.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Pat
pwall
ydl beginner
ydl beginner

Postby billb » 23 Jan 2011, 15:24

Nice! I still want one of those -- it would make updating various things so much easier/faster.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 06 Apr 2012, 16:19

Revisiting this topic, there's been some new news about Firefox h.264 support.

Idealism vs. pragmatism: Mozilla debates supporting H.264 video playback

Most of this concerns video playback on mobile devices using Firefox. These devices have h.264 support in hardware, so Firefox's anti-h.264 stance isn't as compelling there.

This quote from the article is interesting:
"We will support decoding any video/audio format that is supported by existing decoders present on the system, including H.264 and MP3. There is really no justification to stop our users from using system decoders already on the device, so we will not filter any formats," he wrote. "I don't think this bug significantly changes our position on open video. We will continue to promote and support open codecs, but when and where existing codecs are already installed and licensed on devices we will make use of them in order to provide people with the best possible experience."

The option of using system-provided codecs is an obvious solution that would allow Firefox to play H.264 video without having to ship the code itself. We've discussed (and endorsed) this approach in some of our previous coverage, but Mozilla has historically rejected it on ideological grounds. In the past, Mozilla's position was that it didn't want to take any steps that would legitimize or encourage the use of a patent-encumbered codec. The organization is no longer maintaining that argument.

This is a big change for them.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General