Installing icon themes?/ydl 6...

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Installing icon themes?/ydl 6...

Postby butters » 08 Mar 2010, 21:19

I am having a heck of a time installing new icon themes! I used to do this easily with an older version of YDL. Use the CP/Appearance/Icons/install new theme/locate it and voila!. I think the files have to be 'tar.gz' format to use the KCC. And they must have a proper directory structure, and an 'index.theme' file at the root of the Directory. My understanding is if they are not in that format, ie 'tar.gz' and in another format ' zip, bz2 ' you unpack them and install into /usr/share/icons/ or /.kde/share/icons/. For the life of me all I get when I try every method is 'the file is not a theme archive or something like that...
Any Help???
TheMindWorking... :?:
Ever Adventuring Linux Base...
butters
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing icon themes?/ydl 6...

Postby Noons » 08 Mar 2010, 22:05

You can use this method, works for me: Open up System---->Preferences----->Theme and then just drag and drop your tar.gz files in there.

Cheers.
Fedora core 12; ps3 CECHA01; samsung 720p plasma; kernel 2.6.32
Noons
ydl guru
ydl guru

Re: Installing icon themes?/ydl 6... Another ? Please

Postby butters » 09 Mar 2010, 17:22

There is no System----> Preferences----> Themes ??

~k

Help Again
Ever Adventuring Linux Base...
butters
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing icon themes?/ydl 6...

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Jul 2010, 07:21

butters wrote:I am having a heck of a time installing new icon themes! I used to do this easily with an older version of YDL. Use the CP/Appearance/Icons/install new theme/locate it and voila!. I think the files have to be 'tar.gz' format to use the KCC. And they must have a proper directory structure, and an 'index.theme' file at the root of the Directory. My understanding is if they are not in that format, ie 'tar.gz' and in another format ' zip, bz2 ' you unpack them and install into /usr/share/icons/ or /.kde/share/icons/. For the life of me all I get when I try every method is 'the file is not a theme archive or something like that...
Any Help???
TheMindWorking... :?:

Hi Butters:

Unpacking the various themes which exist can be tiresome especially as some developers appear to use the most unusual means of compressing them. I've noticed developers using rar, tgz, tar and others; it takes a while to learn how to handle them; I recommend keeping a list of guides/notes as reminders to oneself that is easily available just in case. Of course the question of where to place the icons after you've unpacked them remains. I recommend that they are placed in:

/home/user account name/.icons

The above means that if my user account name is gandalf then I place the newly unpacked icons into:

/home/gandalf/.icons

Themes likewise would go:

/home/gandalf/.themes

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to General