HELP!!! DC++ for Yellow Dog

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

HELP!!! DC++ for Yellow Dog

Postby lennygundam14 » 22 Mar 2010, 08:26

Hi! im fairly new to Linux and i wanted to know if there are any Direct Connect clients (aka, DC++) out there that i can install for Yellow Dog linux. I also want to know how i can install these programs for Yellow Dog.

I am running on a PS3 running Yellow Dog 6.2
lennygundam14
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: HELP!!! DC++ for Yellow Dog

Postby aguilarojo » 05 Apr 2010, 21:30

lennygundam14 wrote:Hi! im fairly new to Linux and i wanted to know if there are any Direct Connect clients (aka, DC++) out there that i can install for Yellow Dog linux. I also want to know how i can install these programs for Yellow Dog.

Perhaps you are missing the fact that a Network Manager is available for YDL (and any standard Linux distro). The Network Manager allows for controlling which ports and cables, like Ethernet are utilized and recognized by YDL at boot time or otherwise.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby ppietro » 05 Apr 2010, 21:33

aguilarojo wrote:
lennygundam14 wrote:Hi! im fairly new to Linux and i wanted to know if there are any Direct Connect clients (aka, DC++) out there that i can install for Yellow Dog linux. I also want to know how i can install these programs for Yellow Dog.

Perhaps you are missing the fact that a Network Manager is available for YDL (and any standard Linux distro). The Network Manager allows for controlling which ports and cables, like Ethernet are utilized and recognized by YDL at boot time or otherwise.

I think a DC++ client is more like a file sharing/peer-to-peer/torrent client. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC%2B%2B

DC++ is a free and open-source, peer-to-peer file-sharing client that can be used to connect to the Direct Connect network or to the ADC protocol. It is developed primarily by Jacek Sieka, nicknamed arnetheduck.

That being said - I have no idea if these clients exist for YDL or not. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aguilarojo » 06 Apr 2010, 02:36

ppietro wrote:...
I think a DC++ client is more like a file sharing/peer-to-peer/torrent client. See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC%2B%2B

That being said - I have no idea if these clients exist for YDL or not. :D

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks Paul, I'd not heard of this technology. I checked the repositories and this option doesn't appear to exist for YDL.
That should not stop anyone from downloading the source and compiling it within YDL for their own use.

By the way, for those who have no idea what I'm referring to please read this link: http://yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4800

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to General