"Cannot create executables" (WTF?)

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

"Cannot create executables" (WTF?)

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 10 Apr 2010, 23:33

I just finished a squeaky-clean install of YDL 6.2 on my G5 Quad. Try as I might to build some apps from source (VLC, fldigi, and the Crystal window decoration for KDE just to name a few) I can't: ./configure always stops dead in its tracks claiming that "insert compiler here cannot create executables". :shock:

cpp, gcc etc., are all installed. They do compile any code I throw at it. They just won't let any ./configure do its thing.

I've tried specifying "--{build,host,target}=powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu" (instead of "powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu"). I've tried using compat-gcc (3.x) instead of gcc (4.1.x). I've tried specifying "CFLAGS="" CXXFLAGS=""". But, nothing works.

(1) :evil: WTF?
(2) :( Help?
shutdown -h now # Will the last person to leave please remember to turn off the lights?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Re: "Cannot create executables" (WTF?)

Postby CronoCloud » 11 Apr 2010, 15:16

I bet you're missing some of the development tools and whatnot. What's the output of whereis make

I'd lay odds you can fix the problem with a simple: yum install "Development Tools"

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Re: "Cannot create executables" (WTF?)

Postby NeoAmsterdam » 11 Apr 2010, 17:00

You'll have to give a a little time to respond - I just screwed up yaboot.conf and can't boot into YDL :roll:

That said, everything was selected in anaconda and I "yum install *.ppc64; yum update ; yum upgrade ; yum install *"ed right after first boot, so make should have been installed (just like the packages I never use, like man-pages-ja).

Addendum: Yup - make was MIA. Thanks!
shutdown -h now # Will the last person to leave please remember to turn off the lights?
NeoAmsterdam
ydl lover
ydl lover

Return to General