PS3 Perks

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

PS3 Perks

Postby sok_linux » 05 Jun 2010, 14:01

My PS3 has fallen into disuse with psn, and I'm seriously considering downloading 3.21.
But before I go down the one way street, is there anything the PS3 linux can do better than just a cheap linux stand alone computer>
There is only one thing you can do, so do it.
sok_linux
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: PS3 Perks

Postby CronoCloud » 05 Jun 2010, 16:13

I don't know actually, never benchmarked the thing.

Here's my impessions and opinions, not fact. a cheap x86 box running LInux is better than a PS3 running same...in some things. In part that's a RAM issue. I have suspicions that the PS3 would smoke this x86 box in GIMP usage if it had more RAM. I'd swear the PS3 was a touch faster on the GIMP...with smaller images anyway...with big ones the x86 box has the edge. This thing isn't any faster at converting .jp2 to .png, though the two compiles I have done went faster. Applications in general do load a touch faster. Video works better on x86, due to many issues, RAM, lack of accelerated display, etc. On x86 you'll have Flash and real Sun Java available. Music and sound seemed better on the PS3. That might be due to HDMI vs regular headphone jack style PC sound input on my TV/Monitor. You'll also be able to run 3D applications on the x86 box that you couldn't run on the PS3.

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
CECHE01 PS3 (MGS4 80GB Bundle) without OtherOS and with an upgraded 320GB HD
Running Fedora 23 on a Compaq Presario CQ5320F upgraded with a Phenom X4 and GT640
Vizio E221A1 22" 1080P TV with HDMI, using 1080P over HDMI
PSN ID: CronoCloudAuron
CronoCloud

Return to General