init levels

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

init levels

Postby linfidel » 28 Apr 2011, 02:17

Hi,
I'm new to YDL, and I normally use Ubuntu, so I'm not used to the init levels that Ubuntu abandoned, although I've known the theory of how it works for a while.

Anyway, I've installed YDL on an imac G5 I inherited, and I'm setting it up as a server, normally using ssh from my Ubuntu system to get in.

I customized the runlevel 4, since I didn't think it was being used anyway; it was pretty similar to 3, so I made it essentially the same to start with. One thing that seemed odd, though, was that mySQL was installed in init 5, and not anything earlier. Is there a reason for this? I added it to 4, and it seems to work OK.

If anyone is interested, I also added the fan control script I found elsewhere on this board, and that works well. I disabled the console outputs, and simply call it from a simple startup script with an ampersand at the end. So, now I can hear when my wife is coming with the vacuum cleaner. :)

So far, the system is working well. I had to switch to gnome from enlightenment right away, as enlightenment kept crashing during simple customizations, like moving icons. Besides, I'm used to gnome. Not that it matters, as I don't run X normally on it anyway. It seems like a good way to gain a little more confidence when I have to deal with a RHEL system, like for web server work I occasionally do for some clients.
linfidel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: init levels

Postby aguilarojo » 28 Apr 2011, 20:35

linfidel wrote:Hi,
I'm new to YDL, and I normally use Ubuntu, so I'm not used to the init levels that Ubuntu abandoned, although I've known the theory of how it works for a while.

Anyway, I've installed YDL on an imac G5 I inherited, and I'm setting it up as a server, normally using ssh from my Ubuntu system to get in.

I customized the runlevel 4, since I didn't think it was being used anyway; it was pretty similar to 3, so I made it essentially the same to start with. One thing that seemed odd, though, was that mySQL was installed in init 5, and not anything earlier. Is there a reason for this? I added it to 4, and it seems to work OK....

I thought you would be interested in a reference I came across some years ago discussing runlevels and inits in relationship to applications/services. You can find it here.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Postby linfidel » 30 Apr 2011, 05:44

aguilarojo wrote:I thought you would be interested in a reference I came across some years ago discussing runlevels and inits in relationship to applications/services. You can find it here.

Thanks, I didn't really know about he rc.local part. Maybe because I normally use a Ubuntu system, which decided that the old-style inittab wasn't complicated enough, so they came up with something really complex. :)
linfidel
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby aguilarojo » 30 Apr 2011, 16:16

linfidel wrote:
aguilarojo wrote:I thought you would be interested in a reference I came across some years ago discussing runlevels and inits in relationship to applications/services. You can find it here.

Thanks, I didn't really know about he rc.local part. Maybe because I normally use a Ubuntu system, which decided that the old-style inittab wasn't complicated enough, so they came up with something really complex. :)

Glad to see you find the reference useful. The family of Red Hat Enterprise, and Fedora Linux, CentOS, and YDL similarly related Linux distributions attempted to utilize open source applications only due to various law suits across the years avoiding proprietary applications within their distributions. Debian however, since it's founding always exhibited an independent streak serving independent researchers, engineers and scientists. As time passed Debian allowed what YDL and other distributions avoided in various ways, that is Debian allowed applications to be included into the Debian tree which were shareware and proprietary applications. This in turn led to the development of Ubuntu, which allows a mixture of proprietary software within it's distribution which allows it to function with a level of functionality which many prefer. As Ubuntu is a sub-branch of Debian this allows a strong foundation of reliable Debian packages with a mix of proprietary software controlled by Ubuntu management.

The advantage of Ubuntu's approach is the same as what may cause it problems in the future. You may not be aware that the reason a strong effort to remove any proprietary software from Linux distributions was driven by lawsuits initiated by SCO who claimed that as they were the owners of the Unix name Linux was in violation of having lifted Unix code verbatim. SCO's suit involved not only IBM but SCO made it very public that they intended to pursue all users of any Linux distribution. Here's a story regarding this suit which was published in 2004. This suit lasted many years but this suit drove a serious and deep review of nearly every Linux distribution, you can review the archives of The Register and Ars Technica regarding the details for yourself. The SCO suit ended badly for SCO, but that is not the end of the issue for Linux users.

The world being what it is, it is not possible to say whether Debian's/Ubuntu's or Red Hat/CentOS distribution family strategy is the better. There does exist a recent suit (April 2011) against Google which Google lost which you can find here which clearly appears to demonstrate that the Red Hat version of Linux may be in trouble in that Red Hat will have to rewrite the Linux kernels utilized "starting with the 2.4.22.x tree all the way to version "2.6.31.x, or versions beyond 2.6.31.x.". Also affected will be all Android based systems! Red Hat will appeal but right now there is no telling how things may go.

Everything on the Earth has a purpose.
Every disease an herb to cure it.
And every person has a mission.
This is the Indian Theory of Existence.
-- Morning Dove, Salish (1888-1936)
aguilarojo
ydl guru
ydl guru

Return to General