KEGS - Apple IIgs emulator

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

KEGS - Apple IIgs emulator

Postby ppietro » 10 May 2011, 03:46

Hi everyone,

So - most people don't know this, but I was very involved in the Apple ][ and Apple IIgs scene when I was younger. My brother and I shared an original Apple ][, with a serial number in the low 9000's, that our parents bought us. Then, when we got a little older, my brother and I both bought Apple IIgs computers and pimped them out.

(In fact, it was Apple's discontinuation of the Apple ][ series in favor of the Mac right after we spent over $2500 in 1987 dollars on them that led to my abandonment of Apple computers forever - but that's a different post. :D)

Anyway - poking around the web today, I came across this project:
http://kegs.sourceforge.net/

This is an Apple IIgs emulator for Win/Mac/Linux. It turns out the code runs on PowerPC and doesn't use any fancy graphics. In fact, it seems to run extremely fast on the PS3.

It's pretty easy to build - you just unpack it, open a terminal window, navigate to the unpacked kegs.0.91/src directory, erase the existing vars symbolic link, create a new vars symbolic link to vars_linuxppc, do a make, and you're done!

It will place a file called xkegs in the kegs.0.91 directory. You'll need Apple IIgs roms and disc images to use it - or a lot of Apple ][ experience if you're good working with a terminal. :)

Here's a shot of it in action:

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KEGS - Apple IIgs emulator

Postby ppietro » 11 May 2011, 02:58

Hi everyone,

The Apple IIgs had a strong following in France. One of the most adept Apple IIgs programming teams was the Free Tools Association.

They have a website with some of their work:
http://www.freetoolsassociation.com/

Trying some of the demos right now.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KEGS - Apple IIgs emulator

Postby billb » 11 May 2011, 03:25

MESS supports Apple IIGS as well -- I recently added support for the IIGS to the Zerogame project (see here). :) The main thing I didn't like about KEGS was that I didn't see a way to turn off the black status bar at the bottom. I took a brief look at the code but didn't immediately see a way to do it.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General