Installing (compiling) Thunderbird

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Installing (compiling) Thunderbird

Postby canhoto » 28 Sep 2011, 01:22

Hi.

Any clues about how to install Thunderbird 3.1.15 by compiling?
Power Mac G4 AGP (Sawtooth). 1.6 Ghz processor. 2 GB RAM. Geforce 6200. YDL 6.2. HD's: 160 GB (YDL 6.2) and 400 GB (Mac OS 10.5.8)
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Installing (compiling) Thunderbird

Postby ppietro » 28 Sep 2011, 10:19

canhoto wrote:Hi.

Any clues about how to install Thunderbird 3.1.15 by compiling?

There's two ways to build Mozilla-based code (i.e. Firefox, Thunderbird, Sea Monkey, etc.) in Linux. The easy way and the hard way.

If you want the easy way, download the latest Thunderbird SRPM here:
http://vault.centos.org/5.7/updates/SRPMS/

then, create a folder called rpm (lowercase) in your home directory with the following folders in it - all uppercase:

BUILD
SOURCES
SPECS
RPMS
SRPMS

These should all be at the same level - just inside the rpm folder you created - not nested inside each other. (i.e. you want rpm/BUILD, rpm/SOURCES, rpm/SPECS, etc.)

Finally, in your home directory, create a file called .rpmmacros (i.e. $HOME/.rpmmacros ) that should contain the following line:

Code: Select all
%_topdir /home/your_login_name/rpm

where your_login_name listed above is, well, your login name.

Now - navigate to your SRPM and build it with this command from a terminal window:

setarch ppc32 rpmbuild --ppc --rebuild thunderbird-2.0.0.24-25.el5.centos.src.rpm

This will create PowerPC installable RPMs in the rpm/RPMS directory.

The only drawback to this method is that it will only build the latest code in CentOS, which appears to be thunderbird 2.0.0.24, which isn't what you asked.

This brings us to the hard method.

You'll have to build from Mozilla source.

You kind of start here:
http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=firefox-36x-co ... ux-powerpc
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7285#p37807
and possibly here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7285&start=30#p39531

These are Firefox instructions, so you'll have to use the Thunderbird options:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Config ... ld_Options

Code: Select all
ac_add_options --enable-application=mail

You'll probably need a couple of gig free to build it too. Mozilla based source code is big.

Sorry about the terseness of the instructions - I should have been in bed an hour ago. :)

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Looking at the CentOS mirror, I owe you guys a Firefox and Xulrunner RPM update. I'll get to that as soon as I can. :)
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby canhoto » 28 Sep 2011, 14:27

i actually downloaded the tar from Mozilla, but I don't know how to install with it. I tried to follow the post "Compile: step by step" but I'm never able to do the configure step. It happens also when I try to install the Ralink RT25 driver.
Power Mac G4 AGP (Sawtooth). 1.6 Ghz processor. 2 GB RAM. Geforce 6200. YDL 6.2. HD's: 160 GB (YDL 6.2) and 400 GB (Mac OS 10.5.8)
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 28 Sep 2011, 21:16

canhoto wrote:i actually downloaded the tar from Mozilla, but I don't know how to install with it. I tried to follow the post "Compile: step by step" but I'm never able to do the configure step. It happens also when I try to install the Ralink RT25 driver.

Unfortunately, Mozilla doesn't use standard Linux build procedures. (i.e. ./configure & make) Their source files actually pre-date Linux - they only added autoconf recently as a thin layer above their old make system. (see here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_Build_FAQ )

This means you basically can't use the Compile: step by step instructions - instead, it's recommended to use the mozilla build procedure, which I link to above.

Also - there are no PPC Linux binary builds from Mozilla that I'm aware of - I believe you will have to compile it yourself.

That's why I prefer to build from the SRPMS. You don't need to configure anything per se - the SRPMS have all the configure steps - and patches! - built in.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Working on CUDA build of Firefox 3.6.22 now. I'll start the PPC build when I get home tonight.
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General