libnautilus-extension-dev

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

libnautilus-extension-dev

Postby canhoto » 30 Sep 2011, 22:48

I tried to install Dropbox and it appears to be very Linux-friendly. But it says I have to have libnautilus-extension-dev or similar installed. How do I do that?

Thanks
Power Mac G4 AGP (Sawtooth). 1.6 Ghz processor. 2 GB RAM. Geforce 6200. YDL 6.2. HD's: 160 GB (YDL 6.2) and 400 GB (Mac OS 10.5.8)
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: libnautilus-extension-dev

Postby ppietro » 01 Oct 2011, 06:07

canhoto wrote:I tried to install Dropbox and it appears to be very Linux-friendly. But it says I have to have libnautilus-extension-dev or similar installed. How do I do that?

You may be trying to install code designed for Debian/Ubuntu systems. Unfortunately, YDL is based on Red Hat Enterprise/CentOS, and we don't appear to have that package.

Is there a different installer you can try? If you're installing from instructions, try RedHat Enterprise and/or CentOS instructions - they're the closest to YDL.

Cheers,
Paul

P.S. Fedora instructions may work - Fedora is based on RedHat Enterprise - but it's about 3 versions ahead and has some library differences. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hat_en ... tributions
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby canhoto » 01 Oct 2011, 09:05

There seem to be extensions (including that one), but just for OpenSuse:
[url]
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... nsion.so.1[/url]

It has to be a ppc package, right? Ax86, i686, i586, etc won't work, right?

I also find (when googling) libnautilus-extension.so.1

Is it the same or it has nothing to do with?

Thanks
Power Mac G4 AGP (Sawtooth). 1.6 Ghz processor. 2 GB RAM. Geforce 6200. YDL 6.2. HD's: 160 GB (YDL 6.2) and 400 GB (Mac OS 10.5.8)
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 02 Oct 2011, 18:39

canhoto wrote:There seem to be extensions (including that one), but just for OpenSuse:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... nsion.so.1

OpenSuSE probably won't help you here - it's based on Slackware.

Also - the Fedora editions listed are too new. Red Hat Enterprise/CentOS/YDL won't work with those.

canhoto wrote:It has to be a ppc package, right? Ax86, i686, i586, etc won't work, right?

That is correct.

Rather than try to find this library - which YDL/RedHat/CentOS may or may not have - can you post a link to the Dropbox page you're trying to install from? I might be able to find a different way to install from there.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 02 Oct 2011, 18:47

Pre-empting here a little - if you're using this page:
http://www.dropbox.com/downloading?os=lnx

My guess is that you can't use any of the options listed there except for "Compile From Source".

We have some good starter instructions for compiling here:
HOWTO: Compiling, step by step.

Also - you might want to check the Nautilus revision for YDL. It looks like Dropbox requires Nautilus 2.16 or higher. Since we're an Enterprise Linux, we might not be using that new a version. (That may also explain why we don't appear to have that library available.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby canhoto » 02 Oct 2011, 22:59

ppietro wrote:My guess is that you can't use any of the options listed there except for "Compile From Source".

We have some good starter instructions for compiling here:
HOWTO: Compiling, step by step.

That's what I did. After running
Code: Select all
./configure

I had the follwing message:
checking for NAUTILUS... configure: error: Package requirements (libnautilus-extension >= 2.16.0) were not met:

No package 'libnautilus-extension' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables NAUTILUS_CFLAGS
and NAUTILUS_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
canhoto
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Postby ppietro » 03 Oct 2011, 00:58

I didn't realize you were building from source - that would be helpful to know next time. :)

Doing a quick Google search on "building dropbox centos", it seems like this is a known issue:
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=9874

I think there's some big issues here.

For example, run this command from a terminal window: rpm -qa|grep nautilus

You should see something like this:
Code: Select all
[ppietro@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa|grep nautilus
nautilus-cd-burner-2.16.0-7
nautilus-2.16.2-7.ydl6.1
nautilus-extensions-2.16.2-7.ydl6.1

As you can see, nautilus-extensions is already on my system. So - I think there's some fundamental issues trying to build this on a RHEL/CentOS/YDL.

Poking around, it appears our default version of python is too old as well. Frankly, I think it would take a lot of effort to get this to build. That's just my opinion, though.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 05 Oct 2011, 19:54

I recently started using dropbox on PC so looked into this a little...

As already mentioned, there's quite a lot involved in getting this running on x86 or 64bit Centos 5/RHEL 5 (and therefore YDL6):

http://ramblings.narrabilis.com/wp/dropbox-on-rhel5/
There are two problems running dropbox on something as ancient as RHEL5

python 2.6
glib 2.16
Dropbox compiled against more modern versions of glib and gtk2 and wrote their scripts using the modern constructs of python 2.6. So to get dropbox working, you have to backport all the modern stuff. For python this means taking out all the with and closing statements.

glib is a little more complex, the new function of g_async_queue_new_full has to be replaced with g_async_queue_new, but we need to still handle the destroy when the queue is empty…I haven’t fixed that yet.

g_strcmp0 isn’t available in 2.12, so I just wrote an inline replacement for it.

g_timeout_add_seconds isn’t available also, but that one’s easy, you just use g_timeout_add and change the 1 to 1000 (for ms).

And also there could possibly be issues with running it on PowerPC.
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General