How to Install Firefox ESR 10.0.x and Java

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

How to Install Firefox ESR 10.0.x and Java

Postby billb » 14 Apr 2012, 14:25

EDIT -- It is no longer necessary to enable the ps3bodega-testing repo to update to Firefox ESR. It's included in the regular ps3bodega repo for YDL 6.2 now.

08/01/12 -- Updated to Firefox ESR 10.0.6

Install Firefox ESR 10.0.3

The last official Firefox update for YDL 6.2 was Firefox 3.0.16. Since then, Paul (ppietro) has been providing updated builds and I've been hosting them on my ps3bodega repo. This time around with Firefox 10.0.3, I did the grunt work and ran the builds on my PowerMac, but Paul provided the modified specs for the packages to build properly on YDL.

At this point I have the packages in the testing section on ps3bodega, but it's still very easy to update your system to FF 10.0.3 (provided you've setup the ps3bodega repo for YDL 6.2 as described in the link above):

Open a terminal window

Become root user
Code: Select all
su

<root password>

yum install firefox --enablerepo=PS3Bodega-testing

exit

When that's done you should be updated to Firefox ESR 10.0.3 with WebM video playback support (however, at least on the PS3 and slower PowerMacs the video will be very choppy -- probably not anything we can do about that at this point).

Install Java and Plugin
(Paul had to remind me how to do it... :mrgreen:)

6 seems to run the best, so I'd recommend getting the 32-bit IBM POWER Java SE Version 6 installer from here (you have to create a free account):
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/j ... nload.html

If you save the file to your Desktop, here's how to install:

Open terminal window

Change your working directory to ~/Desktop:
cd ~/Desktop

Become root:
su

Make it eXecutable:
chmod +x ibm-java-jre-6.0-10.0-linux-ppc.bin

Start the installer:
./ibm-java-jre-6.0-10.0-linux-ppc.bin

When you get to the License Agreement page there may be a delay before you can scroll down to the bottom before selecting "I accept..."

When it asks where to install, put in:

/opt/ibm/java-ppc-60

When installation is finished, back on the terminal window, create a symbolic link to the plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

ln -s /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/lib/ppc/libnpjp2.so

exit

Done ... Java plugin should be installed in Firefox. You can confirm by going to about:plugins (in the address bar on FF).

I don't know if this version of Java, or even PowerPC Linux, is affected by the security issue mentioned here:

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/20 ... lugins.ars
PS3 60GB [CECHA01], FW 3.15, YDL 6.2, Samsung T260HD @ 1920x1200
Powermac G4 1.25 GHz x2, 2 GB RAM, YDL 6.2
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to Install Firefox ESR 10.0.3 and Java

Postby ppietro » 15 Apr 2012, 21:39

Hi billb,

As a follow-up question, as part of my spec generating, I've created YDL for CUDA RPMS.

Would there be community interest in these?

(I need to regenerate my xulrunner to follow your numbering convention for the webm enabled binary, but otherwise, they're good to go.)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 16 Apr 2012, 14:38

ppietro wrote:As a follow-up question, as part of my spec generating, I've created YDL for CUDA RPMS.

Would there be community interest in these?

Well since you have them we ought to share. :wink: I'd be happy to host them if you like.

ppietro wrote:(I need to regenerate my xulrunner to follow your numbering convention for the webm enabled binary, but otherwise, they're good to go.)

Right -- I bumped the release number to make it an easy upgrade for anyone who might have already installed the first one I had in the repo. Probably no need to change yours if no one has had an opportunity to install it yet.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 16 Apr 2012, 22:52

billb wrote:Right -- I bumped the release number to make it an easy upgrade for anyone who might have already installed the first one I had in the repo. Probably no need to change yours if no one has had an opportunity to install it yet.

You know - I like consistency. :D I've gone ahead and rebuilt like yours. So - the YDL for CUDA build is in the usual spot if you want to download it and add it to your repo.

(SIDEBAR: Do you have a YDL for CUDA repo?)

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 17 Apr 2012, 01:35

ppietro wrote:(SIDEBAR: Do you have a YDL for CUDA repo?)

Not at this time...

Creating your own online repo is actually very quick and easy.

You just create the folder structure locally, something like this:

myrepo
      ppc <- RPMs go here
      SRPMS
Then cd to that folder with the RPMs and run the createrepo command (provided by the createrepo package in base) like so:

createrepo -d .

(the -d switch creates sqlite databases for use with yum, and . specifies the current directory)

When that's done you'll have a new subfolder called "repodata" with repomd.xml and various other files.

Then you just upload the whole thing to a location on your ftp/web server that's publicly readable. If you want users to be able to use yumex or browse the available files you need to make the directory web-browsable.

The .repo file that goes in /etc/yum.repos.d would look something like this:
[myrepo]
name=My repo for YDL
baseurl=http://path/to/your/myrepo/ppc/
gpgcheck=0
enabled=1

When you update packages, just update them in your local folder (deleting previous versions) and run the createrepo command. Then update any files on the server including the entire contents of the repodata folder as well.

If your webhost uses caching you may run into trouble with updated repodata not being immediately available when you try to run a yum update. For this reason I had to have mine disable caching.
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 17 Apr 2012, 07:58

Hi billb,

Oh - sorry - I don't use external hosting for my files. I use my PS2 Linux box as a small webserver, and my DSL as the connection. It's only a 896 kbps upload, so I really can't handle the traffic a YDL for CUDA repo would cause to my network.

It's fine for one-off personal downloads - but not for general hosting. :D

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby billb » 17 Apr 2012, 13:54

Well I was hoping to inspire you. :P I'll see if I can get one set up this weekend, but you'll have to let me know how well it works since I don't run YDL for CUDA (yet).
billb
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 18 Apr 2012, 19:42

By the way - there might be an easier way to deal with Java plugins using the alternatives command:
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2 ... -hat-rhel/

This works for YDL for CUDA, and Sun/Oracle's Java, but I'm not sure if it's setup on standard YDL. I'll have to play with it more tonight.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ppietro » 23 May 2012, 02:53

Hi billb,

So - yeah - the alternatives command seems to work pretty well. Here's the syntax I used, after manually removing all of the symbolic links I'd created earlier. This is for IBM Java 6.x:

[root@localhost plugins]# alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/bin/java 20000
[root@localhost plugins]# alternatives --install /usr/bin/javaws javaws /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/bin/javaws 20000
[root@localhost plugins]# alternatives --install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so libjavaplugin.so /opt/ibm/java-ppc-60/jre/lib/ppc/libnpjp2.so 20000
[root@localhost plugins]# java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxp3260sr9-20101125_01(SR9))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux ppc-32 jvmxp3260sr9-20101124_69295 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)
J9VM - 20101124_069295
JIT  - r9_20101028_17488ifx2
GC   - 20101027_AA)
JCL  - 20101119_01
[root@localhost plugins]# javaws
Java(TM) Web Start 1.6.0-internal
Usage:  javaws [run-options] <jnlp-file>
        javaws [control-options]

where run-options include:

Let me know if you have any questions. This makes installing foreign Java JREs and JDKs pretty painless.

Cheers,
Paul
ppietro
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to Install Firefox ESR 10.0.x and Java

Postby Okano » 12 Feb 2013, 07:00

I'm having trouble installing java. Can someone help me?

When I enter this line

./ibm-java-jre-6.0-10.0-linux-ppc.bin

I get this output

-bash: ./ibm-java-jre-6.0-10.0-linux-ppc.bin: No such file or directory

Note: That in each case where it says ibm-java-jre-6.0-10.0-linux-ppc.bin I've had to change it to ibm-java-jre-6.0-12.0.bin as this is the new version IBM supplies.

I double checked and I made no typos.
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I solved the problem. Never mind.
Okano
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General