Where to learn shell (non GUI) Linux for 8-bit old timer?

General discussion Forum. All YDL related question which are not Install or Beginner questions.

Where to learn shell (non GUI) Linux for 8-bit old timer?

Postby 8bitsofascii » 23 Feb 2013, 04:48

Hello - I come from a time when many of you might not even be born.

That was before fancy GUIs.

I love GUIs, and love Mountain Lion, but part of me wants to use Linux like the way I did with my 8-bit computers back in the day.

I actually know how to, say, program C and JavaScript, etc. and compile, but only if I am following the instructions on what to type to do the compilation. I know how to do "ls" to list the directory. That's about it.

I tried reading many books but they were either all over the place, or focused on Linux GUIs.

Where do you recommend I start?

I'm now installing YDL on my old iBook G4. I chose all the packages (development, web server, etc.).

What I want to know are the basics of using the shell, and how to compile my own binaries from source. See, I know all these concepts but I just don't know how to type the commands in the console in Linux. I've actually written C programs to read text files, parse them the way I want (parsing CSV data, basically), but I did all that without really understanding the Linux or Unix (it was on Darwin actually) operating system itself.

Thanks.
8bitsofascii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Re: Where to learn shell (non GUI) Linux for 8-bit old timer

Postby 8bitsofascii » 23 Feb 2013, 07:57

OK so I found and am reading this

http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_lts0030.php

if anyone has anything else to recommend, appreciated.

Thanks.
8bitsofascii
ydl newbie
ydl newbie

Return to General